Logo

Twin 270s

Assuming the props and the gears were selected with some intelligence and maintenance has been done properly and with some scheduled regularity, I'd say they are about 50% thru the lifespan of the bottom end and the top end is likely for overhaul.....best thing he can do is to hire a certified marine surveyor...

My brother is looking at buying a 32ft Chriscraft Americana. Engines have 1100hrs. How much more life do these engines have?

That is a difficult question to answer with any accuracy.
Let's back up a bit.

A..... are these raw water cooled engines that have been running in ocean water?
B..... are these raw water cooled engines that have been running in river/lake water?
C..... are these engines fitted with Closed Cooling systems?

If A, I would be cautious, as salt water rust/corrosion can take it's tole on the interior of engines with that many hours on them.

I agree with Mark..... "best thing he can do is to hire a certified marine surveyor..."

It will be money well spent.

Also, it would not hurt to ask the seller if he/she would be willing to split the cost of a Marine Survey.
If your brother does not purchase, and yet your brother was the one who found and hired the surveyor, the seller owns the survey that shows no bias.

Last edited:
Back