Logo

fuel pump wont stay on

juanbc310

I have a 4.3L GL volvo penta engine on a caravelle bowrider 187 and I recently got stranded out on the water with the engine just sputtered out.
It seemed like a fuel issue when it happened. After getting it back home I investigated the issue and it seems like the fuel pump wont stay on. I connected wires directly to the fuel pump to make sure its functioning and it turned out no problem. Then I replaced the fuel pump relay and still nothing. The fuel pump fuse was blown but replaced. Then engine seems to started up but wont stay on for much more than a few seconds. I believe it is an electrical issue. almost as if the relay has a faulty ground or something, not too sure though as im terrible with electrical problems. You guys go any ideas? Thanks

I have a 4.3L GL volvo penta engine on a caravelle bowrider 187 and I recently got stranded out on the water with the engine just sputtered out.
It seemed like a fuel issue when it happened. After getting it back home I investigated the issue and it seems like the fuel pump wont stay on. I connected wires directly to the fuel pump to make sure its functioning and it turned out no problem. Then I replaced the fuel pump relay and still nothing. The fuel pump fuse was blown but replaced. Then engine seems to started up but wont stay on for much more than a few seconds. I believe it is an electrical issue. almost as if the relay has a faulty ground or something, not too sure though as im terrible with electrical problems. You guys go any ideas? Thanks

Per USCG requirements, there is a "no oil pressure" cut off function on electric fuel pumps. Often this is implemented with an auxiliary oil pressure switch located towards the rear of the block.

Back