Logo

1996 Mercruiser I/O leaving oily film in the water whie at achore.

Bro467

First trip out after winterization and ran about 5 miles just fine. Stopped in a cove to swim and noticed when getting out everyone had some kind of oily film on them. The boat ramp was within 100 yards so I returned and put the boat on the trailer. When I hit the throttle to leave our swimming spot I notice a dark cloud in the water that looked like oil or some fluid from the boat.

Trim and tilt worked at the ramp and I opened the engine compartment and did not notice any fluids leaking or spraying. No leaks from the outdrive or lower unit while in the parking lot. Seems like when the boat was sitting maybe thats when it was leaking just sittign in the water. Not sure.

The short boat ride to the ramp felt rough from the engine or outdrive. I am new to I/O's. Any ideas?

what was checked before your first outing especially after de-winterization. To leave a film on swimmers its a serious leaker

what was checked before your first outing especially after de-winterization. To leave a film on swimmers its a serious leaker

All I did before is start the boat in the driveway and let it get to operation temp. , Opened engine compartment and look for leaks of any kind. I did not check fluids but will now. Everything seemed to be ok. Boat started easily.

Back