Logo

2013 Yamaha F150XA Problem

Ml504

I just purchased the boat (Bennington pontoon) and did the following maintenance:
-new water separater
-new fuel filter
-changed oil
-changed gear oil
-drained fuel from fuel tank and filled up with non ethanol fuel (existing gas was a darker yellow, prior owner said he always used sea foam so I’m not sure if that caused the color change or if it was just old)

This is the problem I’m having, initially it starts up great and idles fine. After idling about 5-10 minutes I went to around 3500 rpm and it ran there about 20 seconds before cutting out and eventually stalling. It cranked z back up but would only stay around 1000rpm for almost a minute then die. Each time it would die quicker until it wouldn’t start at all. Let it sit about 10 minutes and it fired right back up but would only idle for a small time. I can squeeze the primer bulb continuously and that helps but not enough to keep it running. The boat can sit overnight or an extended period of time (hours) then the process starts over with it running a longer time the first time then getting worse each time after starting until finally not cranking.

Things I’ve tried so far are a new primer bulb, verified fuel tank vent is clear, verified when it dies the fuel filter is full of fuel, drained the vst tank and refilled. It seems the fuel issue is behind the paper element as everything forward of that to the actual fuel tank seems oaky. My next though is would this sound like the vst filter? The engine only has 32 hours so obviously it sat a lot since 2013 and was last used a year before purchase but had yearly service by local dealer.

Im open to advice and thank you for your time.

Matt

I would drain the system of any old fuel.. you already drained the tank, but also drain the VST, the on-engine fuel filter cup and temporarily bypass the fuel/water separator filter. This engine is very new, so I wouldn't expect the VST filter (or any other filter) to be clogged. Then replace the spark plugs, and see how it performs.

Back