Logo

Cantilever Hung 171

CSJ

I just bought a 1988 Beretta Success that has a Cantilever Hung aq131 with a massive hole in the right side of the block. I came across another boat for next to nothing that has am aq171 that is supposed to run so I went ahead and grabbed it. My question is I know the 171 is around 150# heavier than the 131, so would my transom support that extra weight or should I go ahead and fabricate some forward mounts in the hull? Thanks all

I came across another boat for next to nothing that has am aq171 that is supposed to run so I went ahead and grabbed it.

Ayuh,..... Use everything, includin' the mounts that came with that motor,.....

That's what I was thinking just wasn't sure about it. I'm considering taking a sawzall to the hull of the donor boat... cut the entire transom and engine compartment off just to make it easier to get to everything. I think I'm going to start on it tomorrow afternoon

I just bought a 1988 Beretta Success that has a Cantilever Hung aq131 with a massive hole in the right side of the block.
I came across another boat for next to nothing that has am aq171 that is supposed to run so I went ahead and grabbed it.
I would NOT leave with that engine until you not only heard it run, but also took cylinder pressure readings.
Also, verify that it is a Marine 171 and not an automotive engine that someone used.

My question is I know the 171 is around 150# heavier than the 131, so would my transom support that extra weight or should I go ahead and fabricate some forward mounts in the hull?
The cantilever suspension was intended to be used for the lighter weight engines.
I would NOT cantilever hang the AQ171.

I've got it home already, I could sell 1 tire off the trailer and make back what I have invested in this second boat lol

I've got it home already, I could sell 1 tire off the trailer and make back what I have invested in this second boat lol

Have you been able to fire it up yet?

Where is the ignition distributor located? Port side FWD..... or AFT of the valve cover?

Does the 171 and 131 both have the same block? If so I may just use the 171 block and mock everything else off the 131 and rebuild it. I've read these 171s can be a nightmare

No I haven't. The distributor is on the back of the #2 cam I believe. Back of the engine, right side (looking forward) it is laying sideways compared to what I would expect for a distributor lol. Keep in mind I am a shade tree AUTOMOTIVE mechanic

Ok so I got a bit eager, I blew all the water out of the spark plug recesses and put a small shot of gas into the carbs and she fired right up. I didn't let it run but a second or two. I haven't set up a drum to put the out drive into yet and didn't want to give it a chance to get warm. The oil is quite milky so water has been introduced to the crankcase somehow. I think I'm going to tear this thing down and inspect everything before I just throw it in and hope for the best. A gasket kit cant be too outrageously high for it. Anybody got torque specs for everything on this aq171?

I unhooked the gas line from the tank and drained all the old fuel out of the line and ran it into a small gas can, hooked up the water ears and got a very rough idle out of her. I think the rear carb is gummed up. I'm gonna start the teardown probably tomorrow.

Back