Logo

Help for a newbie!

jesslvaudio

I just bought a houseboat with evinrudes (2001 & 2004) on it. The engines run well, but when I go from forward to neutral or reverse, the 2004 stalls. I have been told to play with the idle screw, but cannot find a picture of it on the 'net. I have had it gone through twice by the marina, but all they did was replace the plugs. Can anyone help me find this screw for adjustment?
I appreciate all responses.

jess

The idle is adjusted by the threaded trunion you'll see where the throttle cables clamp into the retainer at the engine. Loosen the retaining clamp to turn the trunion in a manner that lengthens the cable.

The screw you're speaking of is the idle stop set-screw. It's purpose is to keep the idle from drifting slower than desired once you get the throttle cables set where you want them.

We need the engine model numbers so as to determine exactly what engines you have before going any further.

I just bought a houseboat with evinrudes (2001 & 2004) on it.....when I go from forward to neutral or reverse, the 2004 stalls. I have been told to play with the idle screw.....
What the model #'s and what HP are these engines?

I'm imagining on this boat those are probably higher HP engines which means they are quite likely FICHT engines. If so, there is no 'idle screw' on them. Fueling is controlled by signal delivered to the EMM (Engine Management Module) from the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). It's possible you're getting bad signal from the TPS which leads to improper fuel delivery. I believe there is also a Shift interrupt switch on some models. It could be that switch is bad and is killing spark resulting in the stall.

But, this is all just a guess. You really need to provide the model number so we can know specifics.

What the model #'s and what HP are these engines?

I'm imagining on this boat those are probably higher HP engines which means they are quite likely FICHT engines. If so, there is no 'idle screw' on them. Fueling is controlled by signal delivered to the EMM (Engine Management Module) from the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). It's possible you're getting bad signal from the TPS which leads to improper fuel delivery. I believe there is also a Shift interrupt switch on some models. It could be that switch is bad and is killing spark resulting in the stall.

But, this is all just a guess. You really need to provide the model number so we can know specifics.

The engines are :
E150FPXSIF and

E175FPX50D (this is the one with the problem

OMC's code is the word "INTRODUCES" whereas each letter stands for a number ie I=1, N=2, T=3, etc.

E150FPXSIF<-- The "SI" here stands for "01".... 2001

E175FPX50D<-- The "50" here must be a typo. I suspect it is rather "SO" which would make it "05".... 2005

I'm not knowledgeable of either engine so I'll back out of here and leave the replies to the knowledgeable members. Double-check the model numbers.

Back