Logo

Need help identifying year of 90hp Mariner

Matts81

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1986 starcraft bowrider with a 90 hp mariner.
The serial number on the motor is 0A734452. From what I can find I believe it is a 1985 3 cylinder, but not positive. I can find a range of numbers, but not my serial number exactly. If you could help me out with the year and possibly a location I could find a manual, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Hi sorry for late reply, trying to figure out how to upload picture. The list I looked at was on a manuals site so I was not sure it was right.

I think it is a 3 cylinder. Is there a way to email the pictures? I cannot seem to upload them, I think because they are to big

0A731673 was the first production number (serial) from the Merc plant in Mississauga Ontario in 1988.

So you "minimally" have a 1988 model and more probably a 1989 since the plant was being scaled back and wasn't producing "thousands" of motors a year.

If you want a factory manual you can order one from any merc dealer (part number 90-13645-2) or you could get a Selocs manual (from a site such as this forums sponsor) - http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/seloc/mercury.html

The factory manual is superior in content etc but it also (assumes) that the user is a marine mechanic/merc tech. The Selocs may not be totally "complete" but often gives better explanations, hint's, do's/don'ts that are (expected to be known) by a user of the factory manual. So there is benefits/detraction's in either case.

A factory manual usually goes somewhere in the 75/80 buck range, a seloc's will run you $35 or less...

Back