Logo

Ignition help needed!

Jeffj

Hi all, I have a pair of 1990 crusader 454s FWC and am having a hard time trouble shooting an ignition issue. The starboard engine doesnt have any spark from the coil (Sierra 18-5443 type) I've swapped coils with other engine and both work fine on the port engine. I'm getting about 11.8 volts at the leads on both engines with the key in the on position, all wiring seems intact. Swapped batteries, cranking is good, plenty of battery just doesnt want to put out any spark, help, please!!! At my wits end.

do you have the original Mallory distributors, with the points?

And where are you making the voltage measurement at?

Last edited:
do you have the original Mallory distributors, with the points?

And where are you making the voltage measurement at?

The distributor has been upgraded to electronic, voltage is at the leads going into the coil, purple wire. Also, forgot to mention that the problem seemed to be intermittent in that it would start normally and run fine one day then not start the next, a few days in a row. Almost like a ground wire or something but I cant find anything not in tach

The first thing I'd suggest is to remove the grey wire from the negative post of the coil that goes back to the tachometer....

The next thing I'd suggest is to figure out who's electronic module has been installed and search the www for those trouble shooting steps (usually included with the installation instructions)….

i have a situation, my port engine backfired with total loss of power. it happened three times as i returned to port. the boat is a 1996 Tiara with 454 TBI. any ideas of what to look for? Im guessing i have a loose connection in ignition system. it restarts and runs ok.

Back