Logo

Nissan 9.8A3 (2006) question

Freshair

Good day,

i have a question for someone who knows these 4 stroke nissan/tohatsu motors. In the middle of troubleshooting an overheating situation (no water from tell-tale) and i stumbled across something that i think is strange. I took off the driveshaft cowling and noticed a hole that squirts out water while engine is running. If i plug said hole with my finger water comes out the tell tale just fine and engine cools. This is after putting on a new impeller kit that was not needed and messing with the t stat. Am i missing a plug or part over this hole. Please see pic. Thanks. Kev

Last edited:
Sorry that I had not seen your question until now. I had the same problem earlier this year, and it drove me crazy. The thread is posted under my user name (Chick12) and the topic 9.8 cooling problem. (I just tried to look it up and did not see my last post, which described the ultimate solution.) In my case, the hole you're describing was supposed to be plugged, but the plug had somehow popped out. Neither the mechanic I finally took it to nor the Tohatsu factory guy had ever heard of this happening. The fix was to thread the hold and screw in a stainless steel bolt to plug the hole.

Back