Logo

89 mercruiser 3.7 l engine starting problem

Getting the boat ready Batteries are fully charged at 12 volts. I converted to an alternator last year and everything ran well. Started it up today and it ran well. Cranked it serveral times to insure that the starter motor was operational. When I went to start it up again I would then get a clicking sound but the starter would not engage. The next time I tried it started up and ran really rough and then died. I reset the 50 amp fuse and when I turn the ignition on but not to the start position all the guages power up. When I move the key to the start position to engage the starter I get nothing and the guages do not register any power. I do not hear the reset switch trip off. I have tried to get the starter to crank over by jumping the large lug bolt on the starter solenoid to the small lug and I get nothing.Any ideas and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Middle Gary

I have tried to get the starter to crank over by jumping the large lug bolt on the starter solenoid to the small lug and I get nothing.Any ideas and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bad batteries or bad cabes or bad cable connections

I have tried to get the starter to crank over by jumping the large lug bolt on the starter solenoid to the small lug and I get nothing.Any ideas and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bad batteries or bad cabes or bad cable connections
You can jump it till the cows come home, if the battery is dead or a cable has a bad connection you're pissing in the ocean.

A fully charged battery will be 12.6-12.8 volts.

jumping the two large posts on the solenoid is dangerous.

There is a correct way to jump a solenoid.

Jump from large red connection to small yellow with red wire
This will energize the solenoid as if you were turning the key.

Try a known good or fully charged or possibly a NEW battery first.

Back