Logo

Water "T" fitting to Tell tale ?

PaulAlford

I have a 2004 Honda BF115 and had it for a few years in salt water. I am always good about immediately taking it out of salt and going straight to the fresh water landing (across street) and running it for a few minutes to flush it. I have noticed the water Tell Tale gets clogged from time to time and I keep cleaning it out. The actual T fitting has a 3/8 opening on one port (from the impeller I think since its the strongest flow) then 1/4" port going to another line (which goes behind something I cant see) and the 3rd port is the tell tale which is reduced down to 1/8 or so. WHY WHY is this 3rd port (tell tale) reduced so small???? No wonder this thing gets clogged every use.

Next question...Can I swap this T fitting out to a 3/8 - 3/8 - 3/8 so all 3 are the same bigger nicer flow ?

No do not remove the T piece you refering to the one with the little pipe that leads onto the tell tail water stream, that Tpiece is there for a reason its there to build up the water pressure to fill the rest of the system such as the tank behind the VST to keep the fuel cool in the VST tank i would not replace it with your 3/8 T piece idea as you will end up loosing water pressure to fill the rest of the system .I have rerouted my system on my 130hp it prevents the blocking of the tell tail but have kept the T Piece in for pressure reasons and have added elbows on into the system to maintain the pressure and water flow .later on i will take some photos and draw up a diagram to show you what ive done.

Thanks Tegweni.
So you have the same T fitting with 3 different size ends too ? The tell-tale end being 1/8 or less just clogs way too much in this silty, salt water we have here.

On a related note, I cant find my thermostat either. I would like to replace it (or maybe it has 2 of them) at some point and the Seloc repair book I have doesnt have a diagram or photo to show me where it is. Just says usually on top of intake manifold, but there are several things up there that look like it could have a thermostat under it. I would love a photo of where it is on my BF115.

I never noticed before in the manual it does say NOT to run the motor while the garden hose is being used. Just let the water run to flush the motor (without running). See page 79 of PDF manual for BF115

Hmm. I will stop running the motor to flush unless at the fresh water landing. Thanks Tegweni!

Now someone tell me (or better yet send pic) WHERE to find my thermostat(s) on the BF115 :)

Port side at the top, just behind the ECM black box, it sits horizontal at the top next to the black plastic flywheel cover, held on with 2 bolts, likely 10 MM. I assume its the same as my 130, 1999 model.

Had bf 90 , customer brought in , he changed impeller , still no pew just a drip-drip, I pulled lower unit , he had put inner impeller cup not alinging tabs. Reinstalled cup rite installed lower unit. Cranked motor drip-drip from tale tell.
Port side of bf 90 has a junction electric box, removed lower 10mm bolts holding box bracket, lifted plastic black elec. box up and out of the way . You now can see per tube connection, ( the bf 90 has big 5/8 hose. and small pee tube. Remove pee tube take long neddle nose pliers, get small steel wire 2 inches. Shove wire in and out of pee connection, hook up pee tube and blow should be clear. Reattach tale tell hose to cowling, crank engine and watch it pee.

Thanks Mikey. So here is a pic of where the water line goes behind this "thing" (Dont know what it is or how easy to remove). There is super good water flow before the "T" so I am wondering if the line that goes behind this thing is semi clogged. The original water T (not in the pic) has a 3/8 (from pump) to 1/4 (goes around this thing) to 1/8 size going to tell-tale. The T I have on here now is 3/8-3/8-3/8 and water flows better, but I am worried this T will change the pressure so not sure I will keep this T here.
engine3Small.jpg

Back