Logo

1987 omc 2.3l Ford 232amftc distributor

Danny howell

Hi all I just purchased a 1987 Bayliner it has the OMC 2.3 l motor it has the wrong distributor looking for some help anybody know what distributor is supposed to be in it and where I can find it

Hi all I just purchased a 1987 Bayliner it has the OMC 2.3 l motor it has the wrong distributor looking for some help anybody know what distributor is supposed to be in it and where I can find it
This website lists one for $650. but it's NLA. Now you know why the po sold you a boat with the wrong distributor. Try fleabay.

So you bought a 32 year old boat without even running it?

Last edited:
No actually it does run just not correctly had it out on the water twice the reason I started looking at it closer was I could not get it to idle correctly and it was hard to start when it was cold found out that the distributor that was on it was from a 1974 pinto or mustang I actually found one at a salvage yard

No actually it does run just not correctly had it out on the water twice the reason I started looking at it closer was I could not get it to idle correctly and it was hard to start when it was cold found out that the distributor that was on it was from a 1974 pinto or mustang I actually found one at a salvage yard
Change points, rotor, plugs. Has carb ever been rebuilt? If not, it's long overdue.

Ditto Mark.

Not only does it need to be "ignition source protected" (i.e., USCG or Marine approved), it also needs to deliver the correct progressive advance and the correct total advance.

OK.... by "wrong distributor" what exactly do you mean?
Is it an incorrect Marine distributor.... or is it an automotive?

Back