Logo

Sherwood E35 - graphite bushing removal?

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I'm doing a major rebuild on an E-35. How are you guys removing the old graphite bushing so that you can replace it? I thought I could drill it out on my drill press but it's an odd size. Hammer/chisel and break it?

thanks
Bob

Bob, perhaps find a machine shop who owns a dead-end or blind-bore collect and slide-hammer style bushing puller.

Apply some heat to the housing as to mildly expand it a bit.

bushing removal from dead end bore.jpg

Better yet, replace the E-35 with a Johnson F5B-9 or F6B-9 crankshaft style seawater pump!

around here, most drill thru the side of the bushing, on either end of a diameter, and then shatter the rest of the bushing so it comes out in pieces....

around here, most drill thru the side of the bushing, on either end of a diameter, and then shatter the rest of the bushing so it comes out in pieces....

Thanks, that’s basically what I wound up doing. The bushings shatter pretty easily so it only takes a few minutes. Funny, this
is pretty well hidden information for such a common pump. I have another one on the bench to rebuild so I think I’ll do a youtube video.

Ricardo, unfortunately not enough clearance for any other style pump :(

Even the Sherwood tech data I have is silent on the removal of the bushing....they pretty well cover the installation but don't say anything on the extraction process...

Took one out today. Fill the bearing with heavy grease then use a 5/8" shaft and a hammer. Put shaft into bushing as far as you can and rap it with the hammer. May need to add grease as the bushing comes out.

I agree when putting them in..once moving dont stop. I cracked a brand new one stopping halfway installed. I was talking about taking them out with the grease.

Just a suggestion:

When installing friction fit (or interference) items, such as this bushing, cool the bushing and apply mild heat to the receiving part.
You will be surprised at how much a bit of contraction and expansion helps the installation.

I agree when putting them in..once moving dont stop. I cracked a brand new one stopping halfway installed. I was talking about taking them out with the grease.

Understand - just wanted to make sure the thought that came to mind was shared for Bob's potential benefit.

Honestly, I never thought about your hydraulic extraction process for this particular piece - every one I've taken out was already 'condemned', so its destruction was a given.

guys, any tips on how to press in the bushing without a fancy slide hammer? like a piece of pvc or socket wrench socket or something? Also, do I grease it first? With what.... oh, and the new impeller, what do I grease that with, if anything? And finally, what about the gasket? treat with anything? Sorry for all the dumb questions. It's my first rebuild.

guys, any tips on how to press in the bushing without a fancy slide hammer? like a piece of pvc or socket wrench socket or something? Also, do I grease it first? With what.... oh, and the new impeller, what do I grease that with, if anything? And finally, what about the gasket? treat with anything? Sorry for all the dumb questions. It's my first rebuild.

Rather than Hy-Jacking an old thread (this one is well over a year old), I would suggest starting a new thread for your specific question.

Back