Logo

Intermitten power loss. Grrrr.....

97johnson90

Hello all,
My official first post on here. I have a question for all you people's who are much more knowledgable than myself. Having problems with my outboard. 1997 Johnson 90 2 stroke v4 on a Sunbird Spirit 170 bow rider. For a few months now i've been having power issues. It will be running strong, than out of nowhere the power will drop. Barely run, shakes and will hardly idle. Like someone flipped a switch. My first thought was fuel. I have since replaced ALL fuel hoses, bulb, vacuum fuel pump and anti syphoning valve (under floor 20 gallon tank). The only thing I haven't replaced is inside the tank. So i'm now wondering about a spark problem. I just replaced stator, rectifier and starter. I am not however knowledgable on how the ignition system works for than engine. Guessing there is an optical or magnetic pickup somewhere that tells the coils when to fire. Any ideas or insight would be appreciated.

There are 2 distinct and different 90 HP motors in 97 year.-----So model # / pictures / or is it a 90 degree block or 60 degree block ???

Any chance that if you let the rig set 15 or so minutes, then restart, all is well for a short time, then a repeat occurs?... Or even if you restart within a few seconds, the same scenario takes place?

Back