Logo

Water Pump..

393Clevor

Regular Contributor
1956 10hp looks good but the last time I started the motor in my barrel it ran for some time and no water out the exhaust seemed wrong to me.. is there a grommet somewhere or gasket that is know to fail .. this pump looks like it should still pump.. the rubber in the med section seemed snug nothing that gave me a hard time pushing the tube in.. what's on top of that?
20190616_142027-400.jpg

Not enough information. Most common problem is not deep enough in the water. Water level should be well above the pump before starting the motor. Was it?

Not enough information. Most common problem is not deep enough in the water. Water level should be well above the pump before starting the motor. Was it?

plenty of water I thought.. it was pumping... maybe I have to have it in gear when in the tank.. it ran in N for some time with nothing coming out of the exhaust.. lots of bubbles might have had something to do with it.. might put it back together and try it on the lake

It just has to pump water even in nuetral !!-----Water must be well above the pump in a test tank.-------You are 100% sure the water tube is in the grommet on both ends ??

It just has to pump water even in nuetral !!-----Water must be well above the pump in a test tank.-------You are 100% sure the water tube is in the grommet on both ends ??

Yup.. found some info about the prop forcing water into the inlet....So I watched some videos I took of it running.. lots of water coming out when it's in gear, not sure if the prop is feeding the inlet to fill the pump. Do you know what's above the rubber grommet in the center section? is there a gasket or o-rings or something.. I'm going to try it again in gear see what happens.. tomorrow night

This is what I found...

"
Water Intake : These motors main water supply to the water pump comes from a screened tube right behind the prop in the exhaust outlet. Water is forced into the screened intake to the water pump by the prop thrust. Some users report that when running these motors in a barrel, (usually a small one) that the prop has to be installed and usually in gear as apparently they need to get more water pushed to the water pump by the prop to get enough to cool when running at over an idle.
There is a also a stainless steel intake plate with a few holes near the water pump area on the left side above the cavitation plate shown in the photos below. Flush kits for this motor are rather scarce. There is really no provision currently available for a easy muff system to run this motor out of a tank. But there is hope."

Wrong-------The motor should pump just fine in neutral.------Some of us worked on these motors way back in 1968 and they pumped in neutral then .----So they should today !!

Water tube goes into a rubber grommet about half way up the midsection. Exact same grommet as the one in the pump housing.

Heck, I was working on those motors back when that one left the factory.

Water tube goes into a rubber grommet about half way up the midsection. Exact same grommet as the one in the pump housing.

Heck, I was working on those motors back when that one left the factory.

That's why I ask questions cause it didn't seem right.. I know it has the grommet in the housing but what's above that is what I'm wondering.. must be a base gasket or something.. I ask because everything looked good from the pump to the grommet in the center section.. was thinking if there was a leak it might be above the grommet..

I suppose after 53 years, anything is possible. But above the grommet it is a cast-in passage to the powerhead. Then the powerhead gasket. Then the cooling passages thru the powerhead. Very simple system.

all better now.. I guess I didn't have enough water in the barrel lol.. like I said I thought I had enough but the level of water was just below the pump... was covering the inlet but not over the pump... I noticed it when refilling the barrel, the barrel had a ring of oil around the inside indicating where the level was.. and it wasn't enough.. lol ... all new now...

Back