Logo

1990 Johnson 90hp where Tach connection at engine; pic request

Scooter123

Hi members,
I tried a search and no luck. New to forum. My neighbor/ friend replaced non-working tach w/new tach. Tach settings confirmed correct. New tach either doesn’t work or slowly makes a full circle to stop tab. I suspect tach wire (gray) is either mis-connected wrong terminal (stator connection) or not connected at engine. Need pic of same engine tach connection at engine or similar year/make/hp.

Any other advice is more than welcome.

Engine starts, is consistent, and performance/reliability is excellent!

Thanks!

I have the same motor. Did the original tach ever work? The connection to the tach should be a three pin connector from your control box.
This motor has a water-cooled regulator/rectifier that I believe controls the tach signal. If it is not functioning, your tach won't either.
I'm not at home, so I can't post any pictures for you.
If you search Joe Reeves posts he has a series of tests to diagnose your tach

That model has a water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier assembly whose wiring connects to a terminal strip among other area. One of those wires at the terminal is a "gray" one... your gray tachometer wire attached to that wiring terminal.

If the new tachometer is going nuts, either something is wrong with it or you have a regulator/rectifier problem. T find out which, do the following.
(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

NOTE: For the later models that DO NOT incorporate a wiring terminal strip, splicing into the "Yellow Wire" mentioned will be necessary.

Normally the Gray wire leading from the tachometer is attached at the terminal strip to another Gray wire which leads from the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier...... remove the gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.

Thanks!!!

that model has a water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier assembly whose wiring connects to a terminal strip among other area. One of those wires at the terminal is a "gray" one... Your gray tachometer wire attached to that wiring terminal.

If the new tachometer is going nuts, either something is wrong with it or you have a regulator/rectifier problem. T find out which, do the following.
(testing tachometer with water cooled regulator/rectifier)
(j. Reeves)

a quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... But usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts ac voltage to dc voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... Those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

Note: For the later models that do not incorporate a wiring terminal strip, splicing into the "yellow wire" mentioned will be necessary.

Normally the gray wire leading from the tachometer is attached at the terminal strip to another gray wire which leads from the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier...... Remove the gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... The tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.

That model has a water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier assembly whose wiring connects to a terminal strip among other area. One of those wires at the terminal is a "gray" one... your gray tachometer wire attached to that wiring terminal.

(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

NOTE: For the later models that DO NOT incorporate a wiring terminal strip, splicing into the "Yellow Wire" mentioned will be necessary.

Normally the Gray wire leading from the tachometer is attached at the terminal strip to another Gray wire which leads from the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier...... remove the gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.

Quick Question...

I disconnected the wire that's attached to the gray wire that comes from the regulator/rectifier to the wiring terminal, and touched it to the bolt head of the Yellow / Red wire right above it, and when i did that, I seen that the tach moved. So by reading, its saying that the regulator/rectifier is probably toast. I was wondering, is it possible to use a jumper wire from the yellow / red wire, down to where the gray wire is connected, right below it? I have a 1987 Evinrude 90HP.. and was hoping the regulator/rectifier from the 1989 Evinrude 90HP would work, but they appear to be different in that on the 87, the red wire leads over to the starter solenoid, and on the 89, the red wire leads to the wiring terminal along with the other 4 wires.

it appears that 1989 is the the year they decided to make the wiring job on these motors a little cleaner looking, and took off things like the dual power packs, and made it as 1 power pack on top of the block.

This post is over a year old..... Start a new post entry!

Do Not attempt to jury-rig/mickey mouse the wiring assembly of that engine... there would be consequences!

The short cut test that you performed..... If that caused the tachometer to read properly, that indicates that the rectifier portion of the voltage regulator is fried. Replace the voltage regulator/rectifier assembly to avoid having the engine catch fire at some future date.

This post is over a year old..... Start a new post entry!

Do Not attempt to jury-rig/mickey mouse the wiring assembly of that engine... there would be consequences!

The short cut test that you performed..... If that caused the tachometer to read properly, that indicates that the rectifier portion of the voltage regulator is fried. Replace the voltage regulator/rectifier assembly to avoid having the engine catch fire at some future date.

got it..and thanks for the reply.. I was going to start a new post, but was afraid then I would've been crucified for not using the search function. I'll start a new one though.

Back