Logo

1980 7.5 head gasket

nytebyte

Regular Contributor
What is the diference between the Sierra head gasket and the OMC head gasket other than the price? Is OMC worth the extra 10.00? I bought as old locked up 1980 7.5 Johnson motor and got it free and it seems to run good with 95# and 92# compression but I used the old gasket just to check it and now that all "seems" ok would like to put a new head gasket in. Thanks for any info! Jim

Thanks guys. With the fact it was locked up I understand. Should I use a gasket sealer or just surface the head? From what I know sealer usually isnt called for on a head gasket? Thanks

If the gasket has a glossy look to it, it no doubt already includes a seal material that seals with heat.

If a plain gasket, just coat it with oil.

I see the pistons are stamped 030 on this motor. Nothing on it looks like it had ever been apart. Is it possible that it came this way from the factory? Doesnt seem right but if it has been apart they did a fine job of painting it including the black sealer sprayed on the ground wires. I should have the head gasket and waterpump tomorrow so will hope for the best with it. Head bolt torque looks to be 144 to 168 inch pounds correct? Thanks, Jim

Back