Logo

Starter pinion change

Jerry Moss

Can I change the starter pinion on a 1966 Evinrude 6 HP outboard without having to take off whole unit. Looks like I can just take out pin, slide gear off and replace. Anyone know for sure. This is the old style with the rope wrapped around the starter. All I can find is showing take everything off.

I think you will find that the web between the bottom ends of the pinion teeth will stop it from sliding up past the teeth on the flywheel

But I think if you remove one screw that secures the top mounting/bearing plate to the manifold and slacken the other you will be able to swing the starter to one side just sufficiently to remove the pinion.

Avoid releasing the spring if you can.

If you do let the spring go then you will find the number of turns to pre-wind it and the re-roping instructions in the manual on the boatinfo website

http://www.************/lib/evinrude/manuals/1956-1970johnsonevinrude.html#/0 (but sorry this forum does not allow a link)

Last edited:
Release tension on the spring.---Remove pinion pin.----Remove top 2 bolts.-----Remove pinion.----Reassemble and put tension on spring again.----Not very mysterious at all.------They are proud of those springs $$$

Back