Logo

Not sure which model OMC stern drive I have.

I need to buy parts for my 1989 OMC Cobra stern drive. The number on the sterndrive plate says it is a 985689, with a 5.7L engine. But the Engine and Drive Diagrams in the parts area list different numbers. It lists
What parts are you looking for? That's a King Cobra meaning you may be screwed. OMC only manufactured that model for a couple years so parts are few & far between. Depending on what you need ebay may be your only friend.

No, it is a Cobra. Kings did not use the 5.7 GM engine. And the stern drive says Cobra right on it. I pulled the engine out to fix a leak on the exhaust y pipe. The bolts had worked loose. While I am at it I decided to change the transom mount seal, bellows, etc, and replace a few other items like the ESA.

Last edited:
I.worked.on a 1993 4 winns with dual 5.7's and they both had king cobra drives. You need to find the model number of the engine. Should be on a tag on the side of the block by the starter or on top of the spark arrestor cover

FYI..... I'm not certain of the years....... but the King Cobra was available in a standard Dog Clutch KC, and for a short while in a Cone Clutch KC.

Post a few images of your drive for us.

If the engine and drive is really an '89, then even though they call it a King Cobra, the only difference is the thru the hull exhaust, that's what I see in my '88 factory shop manual. The drive is the standard dog clutch Cobra that you can still get most of the parts for. The cone clutch Cobras did not come out till '90 as far as I know and were used mostly with big block Chevrolets and 5.8 Fords....
The model # was usually on a sticker on the valve cover or thermostat housing....take a look there....post up a few pix of what you have...it's probably a standard Cobra, with thru the hull exhaustg and a Rochester Quadajet 4bbl.

What parts are you looking for?

Back