Logo

1970 Mercury 110 9.8 No Spark

OutboardNoob

Hello, I just got an old 1970 Mercury 110 9.8 serial # 2934998 outboard off of CL. I believe it has thunderbolt ignition, or at least it say thunderbolt on the plug wires. The motor looks brand new like it was never put in the water. Some of the wiring was so brittle the isolation was just falling off. I replaced the wiring that needed replacement and left some that seems fine. I needed to remove the wires from the points, which involved removing and re-soldering to the plastic where the points connect. Put it back together and it fired right up. It was running great, but I couldn't get it to idle down to where it would shift without killing the motor. So I decided to pull it back apart and check the gaps on the points. Now I cant get any spark at the plugs and have looked at everything, it all looks good. I have had this thing apart about 50 times trying to find the problem, extremely frustrating and probably should have just let it be. My question is how do I check the stator and the coils to rule them out? Also I know the kill switch could be causing issues and what is the best way to rule that out? Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
OutboardNoob

You had it running. Are you sure there isn't a wire from the points not touching the base plate or the flywheel? Black wire with yellow tracer is the kill switch

If you were running it on muffs and hit the kill switch you may have taken out the stator. You have a phasemaker ignition there is no black/yellow wire. Look for a wire coming down the side of the block attached to a ceramic block from there should be the wire to the kill switch, if you have one. That ignition uses the ground as a part of the ignition sequence. So the kill switch stops the ignition from going to ground. The first thing to do is disconnect that and use the choke to kill the motor. Those motors are notorious for crappy wire insulation so be aware of that, liquid electrical tape works well for repairs. Do not touch the coils as they are crazy expensive. CDI elelctronics can help you diagnose the ignition.

Note that the kill wire on those works ass backwards--you OPEN the circuit to kill the ignition. The wire to the switch MUST be grounded to the block to run the motor.

Totally agreed on choking her to stop the motor. The single cylinder motors with the Phase Maker lacked the kill switch and were far more reliable.

Jeff

Back