Logo

1998 Force question.

Thefiswhfeeder

Hey all. Newbie here. Hoping to get some help with a 1998 force 40hp. My problem is it was leaking fuel from around the carburetor. I was told before I bought it that it had a new needle valve put in. But it was leaking fuel from around the carb just sitting in the driveway. I've been told three different things. One is it needs a kit. The other is that you can squeeze the bulb to hard and cause it to leak. The other is if the tank, red plastic type which is brand new and new line and bulb, isn't venting it can cause back pressure and cause a leak around the carb. Is there any reason for a leak coming from around the carb?
Thanks

Float bowl gasket could be compromised. Or the float height is set too low or un even. Or a combination including your fuel tank being pressured by the sun

#1 the screw holding the bowl on is loose????

Squeeze the ball and see where it leaks??

If the "new" needle is the wrong size or installed wrong??

Possible the gasket got torn when they worked on it before??

Float level/drop set wrong.

Take it apart and test, turn the carb upside down and blow air (by mouth)into the carb.
It shouldn't take air.

Sorry for the late reply. Been busy, knew i was limited on time so i found a place that sells rebuilt carbs. So i ordered one and put it on. Same problem, gas leaking all around the carb. Finally got to talk to a guy about it. Turns out it's the gas tank. This is on a pontoon. Brand new tank that says its a vented tank. Has a little rubber piece inside suppose to open under pressure. It doesn't. Don't take much for the pressure to build up enough to blow the needle valve off the seat. So i took the rubber piece out, screwed the vent open and drilled a 3/32 drill hole througt the side, through the thread so when unscrewed it's open but will seal when screwed down to closed position. Works. No more leaks.

That's the thing. The cap on the tank clearly says vented. But my understanding is the new style of vented tanks have this problem. Its the little rubber flap thing in the cap. I also was told that the trend now is tanks are not vented at all. there is something on the line that's takes the place of the vent? Not real sure what that was about. I know it cost me a rebuilt carb to figure it out. At least I know my carb is good to go. I also figure on unhooking the line from the engine while traveling to close the vent and keep from building pressure and also sloshing around and leaking.
Note.. My user name was suppose to be Thefishfeeder. Fat fingered it and don't know how to change it. LOL

Last edited:
The evolution in the marine tanks is way over done.
Go back to your profile and change the name.
Thefiswhfeeder is a name that nobody else will ever have or probably want?? :)

Back