Logo

1967 evinrude fast win 18hp

89flstang

Hey....new to forum here and new to boat motors also.....I picked up and 14’ boat and trailer with this motor for 300$ and just here asking to be pointed halfway in right direction. So to start I picked it up last night the guy poured mixed gas into carb and fired up for couple seconds....when I get home tonight I am going to check compression and go from there besides cleaning/rebuilding carb anything else I should check right off the back on this motor any help is appreciated thanks in advance

Yes it fired up.--------First thing I do on motors of that era is remove the flywheel to see the coils.----They will be cracked or have a new set already.----Almost a bonus if they are cracked as it is likely a " low hour " motor.

Thanks will do.....pulling the flywheel pretty much like one off a car or mower I hope so I will get that off tonight also after checking compression .....and gonna buy new gas line today for it......around what is a good spec for compression.....should I go ahead a set the gap for points while I’m in there then I would presume???

If the coils are cracked then it's a good indication that everything including the points, condensers, and plug wires are 52 years old. I'd replace it all while I was there.

Ok I believe to have a bigger problem than I thought......so when I got chance to work on motor. I cleaned carb till I thought was clean enough to eat from....checked for spark had bright blue spark (somehow).....so I threw a set for plugs in it and tried starting it.....it fired up ran for couple seconds I shut it down got my tank of water set up and started motor again this time motor reved good....good water come out of it.....ran for two mins started to hear a noise by time I reached to turn off the motor shut itself off.....not in a good way parts went flying. Right off back I could armature plate had caught flywheel and went for a ride around in a circle��...I pulled flywheel seems that one of the coils caught the flywheel and destroyed the armature plate and linkages....and on top off that it had a sheared crankshaft keyway how it had spark I don’t know........any chance of repairing this by chance?

update I have found all the parts coil capacitors points linkages that broke.....the armature plate seems to be harder.....I found on a eBay but say it is for a 57 evinrude 18hp.....are they interchangeable or is that too far off in the years

also mine is a 18702 18hp fast win

Last edited:
This saga proves once again that 50 year old motor ( 3 or 4 owners ) should get a complete inspection before trying to start them.------Used parts for them are plentiful in some areas.

Yea I’ve been searching....and yes I feel like idiot now also but hey chuck it up a learn curve and I’m always learning.....any ways I tried searching my motor on this sit for part and I can seem to find diagram for mine....18702 fastwin 1967.....the site doesn’t pull up that motor, it will pull up a 1966 fast win 18602..... #8 in magneto group says it the armature plate, I think the pic is taken with part inside down.....my question is that is the plate where the coil and everything bolts on too correct?? And will it interchange to my motor

In 1967 Evinrude stuck with the popular 18 HP designation.----Essentially the same motor was marketed by JOHNSON as a 20 HP model.----So that is what you would use to get the part #.-----Your location ?

Thanks man for the help much appreciated.....I tried finding plate used but new is going to be the way to go it looks like thanks again

Ok thanks...just looking for some help man I live central Florida....and this first boat motor I’ve ever messed with new to boats so I don’t know a lot of people and /or places to find used parts short of Craigslist eBay and Facebook....I’ll keep looking

69 was the first year for the 25HP model.----More to it than changing the carburetor.----Different / finer balanced crankshaft was one thing.---Starting kit is listed at $550 or so.-----I would want 2 parts motors for that kind of coins.-----A donor motor will get you a reasonably priced electric start plus the spare parts.

Last edited:
25hp has a different cylinder head, different pistons, different crankshaft, different carburetor (besides the jet). If you do one thing, you must do it all.

I see that the starter kit is listed for the 1972 through 1976 18 to 25 horse motors. If I want to put electric start on a 1969 18 horse, which year and size motors should I look for as donors?

Same kit will work.---From 18 / 20 / 25 HP , but only for the 22 cubic inch models !!----The 22 cubic inch was made from 57 to 76 or so.------Some sellers of course will say ----" yes it fits " to almost anything.

I got a boatload of parts here. What do you need? No extra electric start parts, however.....I use them all up as the old timers like 'em here, just did up a Johnson 20 to electric start. Can also get them (used) at Tim's Outboard Hackensack MN 218 682 2331. Ship same day if you order before 1pm

Back