Logo

ESA interrupter not working

appel1978

I was trying to see if my esa interrupter switch was functioning properly so I used a test light to see if it was even getting a signal but it doesnt seem to be getting any volts. Or is the a grounded switch that toggles from closed and open and doesnt carry a volt signal to stutter engine

Also when I tested for power with test light on wires I did it while engine was not running but Ignition key was on with power. Should I have done this with the motor running

Better to test the ESA switches with a Ohm meter, Key off.

I can do that yes but I'm trying to tell if the switches are even getting a signal. Or why I'm asking this is to find out if there even is a signal that goes to these switches. Are the a hot cut off or a ground d cut off? Because if they are suppose to be a hot wire going to them then I'm not reading a signal coming from the ESA or if it's a ground cut off switch then that would make sense why I'm not reading anything going to the switches.

I can do that yes but I'm trying to tell if the switches are even getting a signal. Or why I'm asking this is to find out if there even is a signal that goes to these switches. Are the a hot cut off or a ground d cut off? Because if they are suppose to be a hot wire going to them then I'm not reading a signal coming from the ESA or if it's a ground cut off switch then that would make sense why I'm not reading anything going to the switches.
When you put the drive in gear do the rpm's drop momentarily? If not then the esa switch is shot. What rpm's is the engine running at? In neutral it should be 550-600 for that switch to operate properly.

The ESA is supposed to lower the idle when you shift out of gear with a load on the prop (in the water). It should not activate shifting into gear or shifting out of gear on land.

Back