Logo

Mercury 9.9 Two stroke 1990's "pull to prime" button issue

Jeff307

I went to go start my 9.9 two stroke mercury today. I pulled out lightly on my pull to prime button as I always do and when I went to push it back in the button wouldn't go back in. To try to get it back in I have tried twisting and pushing and still no luck. I can't really think of anything else to do.Is there an easy fix for this or am I out of luck? Thanks in advance.

If you look inside where that primer is connected to. There is a Phillips screw that stops the . Mechanism from coming all the way out. It may be that it's jammed on this screw. If you loosen the screw. BUT DON'T REMOVE IT. You can pull the whole mechanism out. There is also a copper lock ring on the backside of the primer on the inside of the cowl. It holds the primer knob in the cowling. You can use a screw driver to lift up on that lock ring. Now if you accidentally pull the whole mechanism out. There is a half moon piece that only goes in one way. So carefully try not to pull out the whole thing. Just loosen that screw a bit. And see if you can get that piece back in.. If it all falls apart and you can't figure it out. Pm me and I will vet you a diagram to re assemble it.

Back