Logo

Fuel Regulator Questions

tparsons56

Two years ago I purchased a 1924 Fay and Bowen Launch that was repowered with a 1999 Marine Power Vortec V6 with a Holley 4 barrel carb. When I got the boat I noticed a Mr. Gasket fuel regulator had been installed so I contacted Marine Power to find out the correct setting and they said they did not install it. For two years the boat ran fine but I had a small amount of raw gas in the exhaust. This year the engine would barley idle in neutral and stalled when put into gear.

I'm having the carb rebuilt but still question the fuel regulator. The fuel pump is a Carter P4601 and is mounted on the engine about 8 ft. from the fuel tank. According to Carter the fuel pump has a working PSI of 6 with a max. of 10-15 PSI. The Holley carb wants about 6 PSI so that would match the Carter. Do you think the fuel regulator was installed because the fuel pump was located away from the tank so it was running at higher PSI to compensate?

A small difference in elevation would not affect the pump's pressure.
The carburetor wants to see 5 to 7 psi. If the Carter P4601 pump is producing more than that, there is an issue with the pump.
The pressure regulator is a band-aid fix for an otherwise more important issue.

I believe that pump provides way more fuel than that engine requires....which is why you found the regulator.

I'd also be concerned about a marine rating on those parts as well...

This morning I have been told that the Carter P4601 came in two versions, P4601 W/3/8" outlets which had 5-7PSI and the P4601HP w/1/2" outlets that was 10-15PSI. I need to double check which one I have. Also being a 20 year old fuel pump that only got rarely used maybe a new properly rated pump would be a good idea.

FYI I just got off the phone with Carter Tech. Support. The previous information I received on the fuel was incorrect as the P4601 fuel pump was always rated for 10-15 PSI so the reason for the fuel regulator. Going to order the correct fuel pump for the Holley.

Back