Logo

No Spark?

Brad123

Hello Everyone! I traded a boat for a cute little 3 HP Johnson 1996 two stroke in great looking shape and ran it a few times like 5 years ago, but it has been in the back of my shed out of the weather, but now...no spark! It is a model J3REIA Belgium. At least, when I pull the cord, there is not a whisper of the motor trying to fire up. Where do I start? I pulled one of the spark plug wires off and held it next to the block to see if there was spark like you can do with a car but no spark. So, once again, where do I start? I know next to nothing about boat motors although I did rebuild my 1965 Jeep 327 a few years back so I do understand the basics of the gas engine. Ideas?

Remove the flywheel so as you can inspect the points, condensers, and the coils. I strongly suspect that you will find that the coils have cracked due to age.

In replacing the coils, if so needed, notice the slight bevel at the top edge that the metal portion of the coils sit upon. The vertical metal portion of the coils need to be aligned with the inside top portion of that bevel in order to be spaced properly with the flywheel magnets.

Remove the flywheel so as you can inspect the points, condensers, and the coils. I strongly suspect that you will find that the coils have cracked due to age.

In replacing the coils, if so needed, notice the slight bevel at the top edge that the metal portion of the coils sit upon. The vertical metal portion of the coils need to be aligned with the inside top portion of that bevel in order to be spaced properly with the flywheel magnets.

Thanks Joe. I will check that out! It's a start. I feel better already! Again, thank you.

Stop----I do not believe that 1991 model has points / condensers.-- Has electronic ignition.---And look for spark in a dark place as it may be hard to see in daylight.

Brad.... As racerone states... that model has a solid state ignition system of which I'm fully aware. Sorry about the goof. I was still in a state of mind which a previous problem (1961 model) and apparently went berserk :).

On your model... If you're sure about no spark at all, normally it's due to a powerpack failure, a shorted stop button if so equipped, a chaffed wire due to rodents, something of that nature. However it would be wise to check under that flywheel anyhow.

Brad.... As racerone states... that model has a solid state ignition system of which I'm fully aware. Sorry about the goof. I was still in a state of mind which a previous problem (1961 model) and apparently went berserk :).

On your model... If you're sure about no spark at all, normally it's due to a powerpack failure, a shorted stop button if so equipped, a chaffed wire due to rodents, something of that nature. However it would be wise to check under that flywheel anyhow.

Dear Joe and Racerone: I went to my new manual looking for a clue about electrical ignition systems. It was a bit confusing but it appears Racerone is more correct than me and so we can pretty well figure it is a 1991 not 1996 model. However, I looked at the metal tag on the motor and it reads J3REIA CLEARLY. And that "I" is the capital letter "eye" not the number "1" that I thought before. And in the manual it shows how to read the model number and to be a "91" it requires the number not the letter. So I will go with the flow on that but it is a bit weird but it was manufactured in Belgium and maybe that is the way they do it. Anyway, all that said, I will take your mutual advice and take off the flywheel and see what I can see.

Thank you both for helping me. I will report back to you once I discover something. I have until July 3 and if I cannot figure it out I have an appointment with our local boat motor mechanic who I have gone to before. But I want to try and fix it myself. So onward and upward. Again, thanks guys!

Back