Logo

96 Mariner 135hp V6 2 stroke-lower unit reinstall alignment issue - water pipe?

Rrichterr

New to me boat, so pulled lower end to check impeller..looked brand new (had done the kicker and it had broken fins)

Problem, when trying to reinstall lower end, get to <1” from seating and hangs up

Yes, in forward, rotated prop(thus drive shaft) and it has engaged motor spline
Yes, water tube is seated into tube on impeller housing fully.
no, it is not the shift rod preventing it from going further.

believe it is the water pipe that is preventing it from full insertion...remember having similar problem on a Merc year’s ago...but cannot remember solution &#55357;&#56897;&#55357;&#56862;

Tried inserting just the water pipe into the head...lots of hangup areas on the way up. When it felt like it was at it’s highest point, did not feel like it was being held by anything. Thought there was a grommet up there?? If I let go of pipe, it would just fall out. Is that normal?! If there should be @ grommet up ther3 and it’s missing/damaged, what is the process to replace it??

Because the pipe is rather “floppy” , tried using a piece of rubber between the pipe and the drive shaft to maintain the distance between the two, but do not know the Center to center distance to maintain.

Anyone have any other suggestions, tricks, etc? And answers to the grommet questions?

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Try using a bright flash light. Look way up where the water pipe goes into. Check to see if the rubber seal is still there. If it isn't. Depending on how the seal is made you may be able to insert a new seal by using the water pipe. But if you can't because the seal has a lip. Then the power head has to come off.

Try using a bright flash light. Look way up where the water pipe goes into. Check to see if the rubber seal is still there. If it isn't. Depending on how the seal is made you may be able to insert a new seal by using the water pipe. But if you can't because the seal has a lip. Then the power head has to come off.

Yes that is my next step. I had removed the rigger bar last night to allow the motor to tip up to it’s maximum. Called it quits and today just waiting for rain to abate. I had previously tried using my older inspection camera but I’ve always had trouble deciphering what it shows me :confused: If the seal is gone, then hoping it can be inserted from below, otherwise a big PIA for a $4 part. Hoping a visual will explain why the lower end will not go that last 1/2”

Thank you for the reply...will update when weather clears.

Dropped the lower end and with motor closer to horizontal could see clearly....bushing still there and it looks in good shape. Could also see marks where the water pipe was hitting the metal around the bushing...so not lining up and no taper to the housing walls to direct the tube into the bushing.
Took the tube out of the impeller housing and guided it into the bushing, then pressed hard and the pipe remained in it....likely because of the near horizontal orientation. When sliding the lower end up into the housing, I could direct the lower end of the tube into the extension on the impeller housing using a long thin screw driver to align it. Bingo...all together again.

thanks for you input.

Back