Logo

Honda BF75D - BBAJ 1101026 - no power to ignition key or tilt/trim switch on throttle

Jagbmiller

Very puzzled. The 75hp Honda mentioned above runs like a champ! You just need power to the ignition switch next to the throttle and it turns over no problem! It is a 4 stroke outboard manufactured in 2013 or 2014 I believe. The throttle seems to be original. It is on a 2013 Palm Beach Islander pontoon purchased new in 2014 with the 75 upgraded at purchase.

Symptoms:
For unknown reason(s) there is no power (completely dead) to the switch and the tilt/trim on the throttle.

After troubleshooting everything in its path to the motor and letting it rest for around 30 minutes, suddenly all is well. Turn key to power and hear 2 chirps then turn to start and "vrrrrroooommmmm" Or tap the tilt up or down and it engages as expected.

Observations:
No wires seem loose or corroded anywhere from the back of the starter and throttle, to the battery, to the main relay, to the fuse box, to the solenoid, etc.

The battery is full and cables are bolted tight and not corroded. All the low voltage items (gauges, lights, radio) always work.

30-45 minutes after even minor troubleshooting (wiggling wires, pulling and reinserting fuses, cleaning battery cable connections, etc) suddenly all is good in the world like it was never an issue after letting it sit and problem cannot be replicated.

Newest observation goes like this:
boat sits for at least 24 hours. No power. Do something like play with fuse box. No power. Come out 30-45 minutes later. All better. Use boat all day. Shut off and restart during normal activities. No problem. Park boat overnight. Start within 24 hours. No Problem. Do not start for over 24 hours. Problem.

Is this some sort of short, possibly to the fuse box?

Last edited:
Another strange one!
Question: How do you determine...."there is no power (completely dead) to the switch and the tilt/trim on the throttle." ?

Are you checking for voltage at those locations with a voltmeter or test light? Or are you assuming they are "completely dead" simply due to no function from either?

I'm assuming this is a side mounted control. I would want to know if those two items are getting no voltage whatsoever or if there is reduced voltage present. This would probably require that the control be unbolted so that you can remove the cover to gain access.

This sounds like it could be a corrosion problem with one or more connections. I think that the 24 hour thing may just be a coincidence although that's speculation on my part.

Hopefully, someone else here has seen this before and can give you a quick fix.

Good luck.

I don't know a thing about these small Honda's, but the first thing I would try is to bypass the kill switch and see if the problem goes away. If so, it can probably be cleaned up.

Back