Logo

New here AQ130 manifold question.

JimA82

Regular Contributor
Ok so I am new here, I belong to several different types of forums from golf to guns to fly fishing. So I glad to be here, hopefully I am not that guy that ask a question, then you guys roll the eyes and everyone says shoot here's another one of those questions again. I have done tons of searching, but have found nothing on this problem. And this place came up a lot, so that's a good thing sounds like you know your shi-

Long story short. I bought a used 76 Reinell tri hull, got a good deal on it, picked it up last week. Ripped some minor rot out of the floor, and will deal with that soon. Seen lot's of video's and what not on that repair. Motor is AQ130 with the 270 out drive.

Question is, I had to replace the exhaust manifold coupler hose. I Removed the 4 hose clamps and cut the hose. Low and behold there is only like a 1.5" gap between the two pipes. HTF are you supposed to replace that hose without removing one or the other manifold elbow or the out drive fitting? Lotta other questions, but they will come later.

Engine shows wear for 43 years old. Some stuff has been done to it, it was used in fresh & salt water so I am assuming corrosion of some sort. Guy fired the engine up and it purred like a cat, that said I know what could await.

Anyhoo let me know you thoughts or please point me in the right direction. Kinda stuck at this point for running it, to determine if it's a waste of my time and money or worth getting a few years out of it. Boat overall is in really nice shape body wise and structure wise minus what I have done so far.. I am not a tear into it and rebuild the engine type of guy, and I realize it's a 43 year old motor but I am mechanically inclined. Worked on ships in Alaska and planes in the Navy.

Thanks! Jim

Last edited:
Long story short. I bought a used 76 Reinell tri hull, got a good deal on it, picked it up last week. Ripped some minor rot out of the floor, and will deal with that soon. Seen lot's of video's and what not on that repair. Motor is AQ130 with the 270 out drive.
This is most likely a 250 stern drive. Pictures would help!

Question is, I had to replace the exhaust manifold coupler hose. I Removed the 4 hose clamps and cut the hose. Low and behold there is only like a 1.5" gap between the two pipes. HTF are you supposed to replace that hose without removing one or the other manifold elbow or the out drive fitting?
You will need to remove the exhaust manifold in order to gain enough space to replace the rubber coupler.

Engine shows wear for 43 years old. Some stuff has been done to it, it was used in fresh & salt water so I am assuming corrosion of some sort.
Yes, since the AQ 130 was RWC'd, you assume correctly.

Guy fired the engine up and it purred like a cat, that said I know what could await.

Anyhoo let me know you thoughts or please point me in the right direction. Kinda stuck at this point for running it, to determine if it's a waste of my time and money or worth getting a few years out of it. Boat overall is in really nice shape body wise and structure wise minus what I have done so far.. I am not a tear into it and rebuild the engine type of guy, and I realize it's a 43 year old Engine but I am mechanically inclined.
Jim, I would suggest that before giving up much of your time and money on this boat, you check the transom core and stringers for core material deterioration.
Also, are you aware of the characteristics of a Tri-Hull ?

Thanks! Jim

It is for sure a 270 stern drive. Transom core is solid and I did check the stringers, from say mid ship to basically where the forward deck ends. The decking wood under glass is like new wood where I cut it across. All the foam is solid. Worse spot was between the seats.

Other than removing the manifold, is there any other option? Might sound crazy, but can I cut say 1.5" off the pipe running to the stern drive? Looks like metal not cast iron?

As far as the characteristics of a tri-hull, not sure what you mean?

Thanks for the response!

Should add the deck from mid ship back is very solid, and the wood I can see where I cut looks like new wood.

Thoughts or is that and I should deal with what I have and move on. Was hoping for a bit more info, but that's cool.

Thanks to he that replied..

Hey Recardo last ditch effort. Would like to text you a couple of pics, I get you don't want any PMs. But shoot me one if you can, if not no worries! Be nice to have your thoughts on the inside of my manifold pic I took and the exhaust elbow. Worse case what is the allen wrench size needed for the exhaust elbow.

Thanks!

I tried a couple of times to no avail. I click upload and it just disappears some place, will try again when I get on a computer and not my stupid phone.

Here is a pic looking up through the 90 to the exhaust manifold/

Attachments

• 047m0e.jpg
    047m0e.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
One is looking down the exhaust to the drive, another is looking through the manifold from the removable plate at the front of the engine. The other you can see where I removed the hose. Quite a bit of corrosion that I can clean up. The 90* elbow will probably need to be replaced?

Thank, Jim

I had to get on Image hack to get the loaded or sized right.

Attachments

• 047m0e.jpg
    047m0e.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 63
  • OmhVtA.jpg
    OmhVtA.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 66
  • qspbMM.jpg
    qspbMM.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 56
  • bAEzyA.jpg
    bAEzyA.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 75
Here is a couple of the engine. Sorry for so many post.. Thanks! Jim

Attachments

• SPWRrW.jpg
    SPWRrW.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Xlsz3d.jpg
    Xlsz3d.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 84
The exhaust system's ability to deliver the seawater out with the exhaust gasses, and yet keep things relatively cool, are all part of the engine's Main Heart Beat. If it does not perform correctly, or if it was to fail completely, you can just about count on severe engine damage.

Here are a few of them on e-Bay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-PENT...=26415083586440585ab22599455f824bac940546d8b9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-PENT...073511?hash=item364dd587a7:g:TcoAAOSw4UlbqUyT

And a new one here:

https://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/Ex...jZpQI1XFve03nnaW3TMtLTEHH3J64YZUaAtubEALw_wcB

Thanks for the links and info. Price wise that manifold and elbow is a great price. That said, your pretty much saying I should replace both since I am there. I do have a seal kit for the copper lines.

Off the wall question. What are the odd's I do all this and the engine is toast. He ran it for 5 to 6 min, fired right up ran fine but I did not look at the T stat. Water was spitting out the back really well. Loaded ? but what's your thoughts?

Only other thing, I am not sure the bolts will come off. Will douche with penetrating oil, any other idea's before I start? And what size allen for the elbow, or did someone replace it at some point you think?

Thanks for the patience! Jim

Thanks for the links and info. Price wise that manifold and elbow is a great price. That said, your pretty much saying I should replace both since I am there.
your existing manifold looks pretty nasty, and is why a linked you to the e-Bay ads.

I do have a seal kit for the copper lines.

Off the wall question. What are the odd's I do all this and the engine is toast.
I cannot tell you what the odds are. I would say that it would be a gamble.

He ran it for 5 to 6 min, fired right up ran fine but I did not look at the T stat. Water was spitting out the back really well. Loaded ? but what's your thoughts?
I suppose that you could take cylinder pressure readings.
If using a gauge with the extension hose, note that the pressure sensed by the gauge will be accumulative. In other words, make sure that each cylinder being tested cycles through at least 2 to 3 compression cycles..... or, 5 to 7 crankshaft revolutions.

Only other thing, I am not sure the bolts will come off.
Start engine and warm things up a bit before attempting to remove any bolts.

Will douche with penetrating oil, any other idea's before I start?
If these bolts and threads are surrounded by corrosion, it is very doubtful that penetrating oil will reach the important areas!
Heat is your friend!

Will order the parts and see how it goes. After removing them, what's the best way to prep for the new gasket and parts? And no reply to the allen head question, or you simply do not know?

Only other problem, with the exhaust hose gone. How am I suppose to run the engine? Can I get a chunk of radiator hose cut in length wise rap around and hose clamp if back on to run a short time, how much pressure is this under?

I must be crazy!

Okay so I am guessing "Ricardo" is done responding? But that's ok. So this is for sanity sake and anyone that may come across the same thing in a search. I was able to get the manifold nuts off pretty easy without heat. The center one between the carbs was a PIA! The two long bolts on each end were another story. The front one after actually using CLP gun oil/solvent and careful heat from a map torch and a constant pressure on the socket wrench for 15 min or so not to mention a almost stripped bolt head, I was able to get it out.

With the aft one, pretty difficult to get to. With the help of my son who graduates HS on Saturday, and wants to become an electrician. He was able to get in behind and hit the back with the torch. That and me on the socket wrench on the other side after 20 min we got it too break loose. Down fall, about a half inch maybe less of a 1" thread on the end snapped off. That said I will take it and run, could have been worse!

Now all that's left is the copper lines and what not. I will replace the long bolts with new, guess I will have to live with a half inch that broke off inside. Hopefully it will be enough to tighten down and hold.

I ordered the manifold and 90 flange used off Ebay thanks Ricardo + gaskets. Gaskets are new, Manifold and flange are rebuilt and better then what was in there.

Hopefully after all this it will be all good, but doubtful it's a boat. Not to mention a 43 year old boat. But I have faith!

Will keep this updated as I go along for the next guy with the same issue. Ricardo thanks for the info, but you seem to be a man of few words....

Ricardo thanks for the info, but you seem to be a man of few words....
Oh I can be fairly wordy when it calls for it! :)

Only other problem, with the exhaust hose gone. How am I suppose to run the engine? Can I get a chunk of radiator hose cut in length wise rap around and hose clamp if back on to run a short time,
Your call on that!
If you can find a piece of soft-wall Marine exhaust hose of the correct ID, give it a try.

how much pressure is this under?
The pressure at this point will depend on exhaust gas restrictions and/or any seawater restrictions.

I must be crazy!
Not necessarily crazy, but.... you are attempting to resurrect a very old engine and drive system.
I hate to see you spend your time and money on this old boat.

Will order the parts and see how it goes. After removing them, what's the best way to prep for the new gasket and parts? And no reply to the allen head question, or you simply do not know?
Post an image of this allen head that you are asking about.

Thanks, but since I am replacing the manifold and was able to get the nut's and bolts loosened. I don't need to run it now till I get the parts in and on the engine. At which time I will put a new hose on with the new flange attached.

As for the age of the boat, and what I paid for it. Its worth it, to a point. That said I hope this repair works. Sad because, the hull and everything else is in really great shape for the age. Other option is what finding a new or used motor and drive, and at what cost?

Last question. I take it those copper cooing lines are just pressed into the seals on the manifold, other then the ends that are held down?

Thanks again! Jim

So Ricardo, you recommended this one. Which I bought but have on hold now with the seller. But looking at the picture, 4 of the mounting holes are gone? Would this still work, guessing not? Let me know soon as possible so I cancel!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/233234073511

So I went and looked at the others and they seem to be the same. Dang freaked me out for a moment!

Last edited:
Ricardo, do I need to or should I while there remove the carb manifold as well? Out there looking at it tonight, and I was like ****. Maybe that has to come off as well? Or can I leave it, and replace the manifold and trim the gasket if that is possible?

Also major pain, after getting the nuts and bolts off the manifold. Are the little Phillips heads holding the copper lines. One comes off fine, the other not so much. Maybe I need to tighten the other back down, then work on the other with heat? Little buggers want to strip if I force it to much.

Ya know, who ever the ass hat engineer was that designed this engine should be well, shot! Just to remove one thing, entails 5 other steps. I have worked on hot tubs for a long time and thought the same thing about the idiots that designed them..

Last edited:
Got the carb manifold off today, and the alternator unbolted. Now waiting on parts. 2 of the Phillips screws holding the copper cooling lines in place, the heads stripped. The one going into the flange not worried about, the one from the manifold to the oil cooler may need to be replaced if I cant get the one srcew out. Again stupid design.

Ricardo do you sell the seal kit? I have a package of new, but may be missing some.. If your still following?

Other thing, aft and down by the oil filter to the left of the oil cooler There is a 2" or so long fitting I guess It is coming out of the engine block. Has a hexagon shape to it. Someone screwed a bolt into it, doesn't look like the bolt belongs. Any ideas? Guessing some kind of drain or bleed valve?

Last edited:
Up date, I was able to get the exhaust manifold off, everything is cleaned up just waiting on parts. I decided to drill out one bolt that snapped on the back end of the manifold. That bugger would not come out no matter what I tried. Hopefully tonight I can drill it out, and the threads will be ok. I had to order the copper cooling line that go into the top of the manifold, Spendy! The original one would not come out, without destroying them.

The other concern is this copper "drain line" that comes out of the block. No way to remove it, and not sure I want to. I am going to slip a high temp type hose over it, and clamp it down around the tube and plug the end. Hopefully that will work, and it does not leak where it goes into the block.

Anyhoo will update as I go. No replies anymore, cool. Never seen a forum like this, and I am on quite a few different ones.

Please explain!

I get you have been here a long time, post count shows it. Good for you, guessing you know what your talking about. I belong to a few specialty forums as well, people come there looking for advice or information. I and others try to answer their questions and help them to the fullest extent we/I can. Sure you get the same problems/questions over and over. Usually people hang out or they get their answer and move on. But hey it's why we hang out on forums and it's why they exist.

Here, you seem to be the only one replying in this section. I have asked a few questions and advice some answered some not. Your prerogative. So yes I have never seen a forum like this. Thanks for the info you provided so far, though very limited. For me, and it might seem petty. But I ask for advice or ask a question on something I am not expecting you to fix my boat. I would like a response though as a common courtesy. Other wise I am figuring out on my own, and just wasting my time asking, and wondering why this forum exist?

I will update as I go on this project for the other schmucks that maybe bought a old boat and looking for the same answers and advice I am. But without the questions answered or the advice given it won't be much help to anyone.

Again pretty odd with 230+ views someone is looking or interested. More then most threads on this page.

Thanks again, Jim

Last edited:
Perhaps re-read your most recent and rather condescending responses.
We are here to help those who are willing to help themselves and in a polite and adult like manner.
When an OP begins to cop an attitude and/or becomes disappointed (in that they haven't received what they wanted on a silver platter), we sometimes lose interest.

Last edited:
Maybe you should re-read some of the post before that. I was thank full for the replies, and asked a few more questions with no response. I even asked if you sell a certain part, as willing to buy and no reply. So yeah I figured at that point you lost interest or did not know . Enough said, I will up date as I go, again your choice if you do not want to reply.

At this point I am pretty much waiting on parts..

Maybe you should re-read some of the post before that. I was thank full for the replies, and asked a few more questions with no response. I even asked if you sell a certain part, as willing to buy and no reply. So yeah I figured at that point you lost interest or did not know . Enough said, I will up date as I go, again your choice if you do not want to reply.

At this point I am pretty much waiting on parts..

Your dissatisfaction would have merit if Ricardo and I ( and others!) were paid employees of MarineEngine.com whose job it was to answer questions for you.
None of us are.
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not on this forum every day, or at times even once a week... and I suspect this is true for all the regular posters who help on this forum. Frankly, if I'm busy and do log on, I only look at those posts whose titles are "interesting"... and at least hint at an OP who will furnish enough relevant information so that I don't have to spend 2 days getting more info from them so I can give a helpful response.

Back