Logo

2004 115TLRC carburetor idle mix screw missing by design?!? so now what :)

rbarchi

Hi, New to this forum with a question around Yami carbs on the 115tlrc. Motor is running lean and running rough when off idle and before mains kick in. (verified by pulling choke out during its misbehavior and it smooths right out). Anyway, simple fix normally would be to turn out the idle mix a 1/2 turn or so.... BUT....... where the idle mix screws are suppose to be there are plugs in the hole, not a screw and spring. Anyone else have this? If so, how do you mix correctly? I am 1/2 tempted to see of those plugs come out, and if its threaded for the screws, but man, if I am wrong, then I just created a project I do not want to get into.... Any advice appreciated.

That is an EPA tamper resistant plug. You take a small drill bit and carefully just drill through the plug. Use a wood screw to screw into the plug so that a pair of pliers can be used to remove the screw with the plug.

Count the number of turns that it takes to screw each screw in until it is lightly seated. Write the number of turns in your service manual for future reference.

If the motor is running poorly, just turning the idle mixture screws is probably not going to do it. I suspect that the carburetors will need to be dismantled and thoroughly cleaned in a heated ultrasonic cleaner. Then all passageways and orifices inspected and verified to be free and clear.

Reinstall the idle mixture screws based on the settings that you determined and recorded.

Last edited:
Thanks, Gotta love EPA. not. Sorry, but a simple tuning effort now has to have me deal with getting to those plugs and removing them. aka. partial disassembly. Bet the geniuses who thought of this "solution" went on to invent that cripple mode for diesel engines if the system determines the DEF fluid ran dry. Nothing like being stranded in the middle of nowhere when THAT system fails. (yup, happened).

Not sure what the issue is. Remove the carburetors. Remove the EPA plug. Remove the idle mixture screws after counting and recording the number of turns to get them lightly seated. Fully dismantle the carburetors. Clean them in a heated ultrasonic cleaner using a good cleaning solution. Rod out all passage ways and orifices. Verify those are free and clear. Reassemble and set the screws back to the factory setting. Sync and link the carburetors.

Turning a screw while hoping to compensate for some internal debris is not an acceptable solution IMO.

Back