Logo

temp readings

missnancy

Regular Contributor
A while back I had written about how high my temp reading were on my engine (350 cubic inch GM). I had when replacing the engine some time ago moved the temp sensor as where in had been located was not working at all. I placed it in the only place it would go and that was in the side of the block at which time I was getting temp readings of 190 to 230 degrees depending on how hard I ran her.

Last year while looking at a photo of someone elses engine I saw they had the temp sensor mounted on the coolent line on the starboard manifold. I copied that and added a sensor there leaving the old one in place and set it up so I could look at one or the other. I got her running and lo and behold the one sensor was reading around 20 degrees less then the other. I am looking forward to seeing the difference when underway.

I was going to add a photo to show where I mounted it but so far have been unable to get the photo to show. I just thought that this info might be of interest to anyone who might be having the same type of problem.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 38
A while back I had written about how high my temp reading were on my engine (350 cubic inch GM). I had when replacing the engine some time ago moved the temp sensor as where in had been located was not working at all. I placed it in the only place it would go and that was in the side of the block at which time I was getting temp readings of 190 to 230 degrees depending on how hard I ran her.
230* (if actual) is excessive and dangerous.
The most common and best location for the temp sender will be just up-stream of the actual thermostat.
In other words, right in the intake manifold coolant cross-over prior to the coolant escaping up/through the thermostat.

Last year while looking at a photo of someone elses engine I saw they had the temp sensor mounted on the coolent line on the starboard manifold.
See above.

I copied that and added a sensor there leaving the old one in place and set it up so I could look at one or the other. I got her running and lo and behold the one sensor was reading around 20 degrees less then the other. I am looking forward to seeing the difference when underway.

I was going to add a photo to show where I mounted it but so far have been unable to get the photo to show. I just thought that this info might be of interest to anyone who might be having the same type of problem.

Since the sending unit is an electrical component, the body of it must make good solid Negative contact.
Teflon tape (if used for thread sealant) will sometimes hinder this continuity.

Back