Logo

1982 aq125a engine triangulation

elkmcc

My engine is almost out but my biggest worry is getting it lined up when putting it back in. I can't find any info on how to get it alighned. any help would help. Triangulation is what I hear but no way to do it. And do I really need new big rubber sealing rings. Thanks, BILL

Bill said:
My engine is almost out but my biggest worry is getting it lined up when putting it back in. I can't find any info on how to get it alighned. any help would help. Triangulation is what I hear but no way to do it. And do I really need new big rubber sealing rings. Thanks, BILL

Whether side engine mounts are used, or if the engine is cantilever hung........ you will need to go through the triangulation alignment process.

There will be 3 flats on the flywheel cover that will correspond to 3 flats on the inner side of the transom shield.
These will be at 9:00 O'clock, 12:00 O'clock and at 3:00 O'clock positions.

You will rotate, raise, lower (in other words adjust) the engine position until you have an equal space between each pair of flats.
Don't forget that you will need to make sure that the exhaust manifold aligns with the down-tube.

You will do this while the clamping collar is just snug.

Once you have equal distance, you will tighten the 6 clamping collar bolts.

As for the rubber cushion rings..... the inner cushion ring provides the water seal.
The outer cushion ring's job is to act as only one component of the rear engine mount.

These rings have no doubt taken a "set" by now. In other words, they have lost their resiliency!
I would suggest that you at least replace the inner ring!

Here is an example of the 6 flats and how to adjust for equal distance between them.
This shows a later model V-8 flywheel cover, but the procedure is identical.

Attachments

• Initial engine alignment triangulation 2.jpg
    Initial engine alignment triangulation 2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Keep in mind that unlike the Merc, the post '86 OMC and the later Volvo Penta Gimbal suspension drives, the AQ series engine, crankshaft, flywheel, flywheel cover and PDS are of "fixed" geometry.
AFT of the PDS, any articulation is taken care of via the universal drive shaft.

Back