Logo

85 hp Force feels like it's slipping

Viper4024

I've had an issue with putting it in gear since last year. As I push forward on the throttle, it sounds like the gears are grinding before they finally settle in, then they were fine.

Took it out tonight, and pretty sure the prop caught a rock at the landing, and now it grinds, then feels like it's slipping as I try to throttle up. I eased it out on the lake and gradually throttled up, and it seemed to hold gear at top speed and on plane. But everytime I stopped and tried to go again, it continued to feel like it was slipping out of gear till higher speeds.

Thoughts?

Sounds like the props hub might be slipping??
Take the prop off and mark the hub and the edge of the prop.
Reinstall and go for a ride.
Then after it "slips" remove and check the scribe lines.
If the line moves get the prop re-hubbed.
Most boat sales or repair shops have access to prop repair.

When shifting you need to put it in gear in a quick movement moving slow can cause damage.

Change the oil and check for metal shavings.
A lot of shaving means somethings going inside.
You might take it apart and check for damage.

Thanks for the reply.

I debating just replacing the prop. One of the blades has some damage now after catching the rock at the landing. Will that ultimately help if it's slipping right now?

Yes that can contribute to the slipping.
You can get it fixed if not in too bad condition.

New run up to $250
Re-hubbed/reconditioned under 75$ most places.

So, after replacing my prop, and the lower unit gear oil, I'm still feeling some slipping of gears on the hole shot.

When I get it up on plane, it's fine. But the full torque of the take off is causing something to slip. Should I be looking into another lower unit? The motor itself is solid and runs like a champ. I've done alot of work on the carbs and such to make sure of that. So, 500 bucks for a lower unit isn't out of the question for me, instead of a whole new motor.

Should I break it down to inspect what could be the cause?

The "slip" would be the prop??
If it bangs or bumps while in gear, that would be the clutch dog.
If it bangs then I'd take it apart and inspect.
Pics would help.

Buying a lower: sometimes it's cheaper to buy a whole motor?? Look around.

Back