Logo

Sizing a Skeg

Richwon4

Guys,
2/3's of my Skeg broke off and I recently learned of aftermarket Skeg that can either be welded, screwed, or rivited on. This is certainly a more economical option as apposed to a new lower unit case.

Question: How do I know how to size up and order the correct Skeg?

I have a 1998 Mercury Force 2 Stroke 40HP. Who might I purchase a quality Skeg from?

I weld them on with a mig, no need to pull them apart most of the time. You should be able to find a welder near you. Have him/her......yes there are good lady welders too.....use 4043 filler and pure argon at 25psi. Get a skeg cut off a used junker. I like to use original formulations as they weld better. Try Tim's outboard again. Just tell them what your working on, and they can cut it past the break, in other words "bigger" for you. (that way your welder is ensured to have enough material). Measure down from the bottom of the gearcase to the highest point of the break. When the job is done it will be as strong as new.
Here is a before and after of a 135 OptiMax I did recently. Should notice that the guy backed into a rock and bent the shaft too.

Attachments

• Optimax 5.jpg
    Optimax 5.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Optimax 6.jpg
    Optimax 6.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
They sell ready made bolt on that are the easiest.
Look them up and contact them and see if they make one for your outboard??
I had a local welder fabricate a new one for a 225 Mercury and it looked like crap and fell off the
first time I put it on the ground :(

Back