Logo

2002 5.0 MPI Fuel Problem.

Detex1

Newbie here. I have a 2002 Splendor 240 Platinum Cuddy Cabin. I have the 5.0 MPI GM engine with a Bravo 3 outdrive. The boat was running great and after shutting down to relax for a while, I turned the key on and after about 30 seconds the fuel pump finally turned on but would not shut off and sure enough wouldn't start either. Not sure what to look for but I did replace the relay and now have a spare. The fuel pump does shut off with the key but never shuts off pre-start like before running maybe 3-5 seconds.
Any ideas?
PS; not sure if I am posting in the right area either. Thanks, Steve

Bravo 3 = Mercruiser....so you probably would have been better off to post to that section.....anyhow, welcome aboard!

The 'pre-start' runs the fuel pump for a few seconds, is controlled by the ECU on a MPI engine....and since you replaced the relay, that's not the issue there....I'd suspect the ECU but would check it out before condemning it.

As far as the no start goes, you need to have adequate fuel pressure in the rail (and the injectors to fire at the right time) and spark at the right time. usually one or both are missing for a no start...

Back