Logo

1987 Bayliner Capri with OMC 3.0 motor and Cobra stern drive

Raider

Question on cobra stern drive impeller vent tube. Where does and for what reason is the water tube exit down in stern drive? Does the water act as a cooling/lube function? If no function why could one make a hole in cover and vent out the back for a tell-tail? Thanks for any info. Raider

It doesnt exit down the stern drive. On my Cobra the tube wasent even there. There was a hole in the impeller cover. When I hsd to replace the impeller cover when the original cracked the new one came with the plastic vent tube. Either design is fine.

It doesnt exit down the stern drive. On my Cobra the tube wasent even there. There was a hole in the impeller cover. When I hsd to replace the impeller cover when the original cracked the new one came with the plastic vent tube. Either design is fine.
So I could make an exit hole in stern drive cover ( back plate that gives access to impeller assembly), and put tube exit out there so I could see if impeller is work as a tell-sign?

So I could make an exit hole in stern drive cover ( back plate that gives access to impeller assembly), and put tube exit out there so I could see if impeller is work as a tell-sign?
Why? It's not neccesary. You know that cover is NLA? If you damage it you'll be lucky to find a used one on ebay. Carry an extra impeller with you if you're worried about a failure. Those impellers last a long time as long as you don't run it dry. Water is the lubricant. They're easy to change out, but up to you if you want to Mcguyver that cover. I wouldn't.

Back