Logo

Cowling on 2018 4hp Tohatsu not sealing properly

ChasingSilver

Hello all,

First time poster here. I am having issues with the cowling on my Tohatsu MFS4CDS not closing properly. I cant get the cowling to seal towards the bottom, and when I do theres to much space between the cowl and the sealing/fuel tank plate, the pull cord seal plate is also not centered when this happens. I am a first time outboard owner and would really appreciate any suggestions in correcting this issue. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Is it hooked in the front properly? Is there a rubber seal on the cowl? Is something obstructing it from closing. ? Hard to give you answers without seeing it.

Is it hooked in the front properly? Is there a rubber seal on the cowl? Is something obstructing it from closing. ? Hard to give you answers without seeing it.

Hi mechanicman,

I cant get the front down enough to be hooked properly without the issues in my previous post occuring. The rubber seal on the cowl is still on cowl and in good shape. From just a visual inspection, it does not appear as if anything is obstructing the cowl from closing. Unfortunately at this time i'm having issues with attaching pictures through my phone.

Last edited:
That's part of the issue. Once ai get the cowl hooked onto the front,other parts on the engine dont fit right. For example there is much more space between the cowl than their used to be. Also, the rubber part where you pull the started cord through wont sut flush into the cowl,its off center. I've looked around, as if nothing was shifted in a noticeable way within the engine. The only thing i could imagine having happened is that the plastic/foam piece wrapped around the gas fill in area was maybe shifted upward? I'd have to take another look once I get home.

Back