Logo

OMC Cobra 2.3 liter Smoke/steam

Stougaard

Hello everyone.
I just bought an Bayliner Capri, with an OMC Cobra 2.3 liter engine. The problem is that, when the engine temp. reaches 175farenheit on the gauge, it starts smoking/steaming alot. Is that normal? If not what could be the issue? And what is the normal running temp.
I am running it on land.

Normal operating temp is about 160 deg. Change the impeller. Keep running it the way you have been & you'll fry the engine. Are you getting a pee stream from the lower unit when running it on muffs?

It is a brand new impeller thats in it, and i am getting a pee stream.
Remove water pump cover from lower unit. Start the boat on muffs. You should see a pee stream from the impeller cover vent hole. Also, check the gasket on impeller cover to see if it came out of the groove. If it did the pump will suck air causing an overheat. Have you ever changed the t-stat? And try this. Reimove the hose that clamps onto the t-stat housing. Start the engine & hold the hose upright. You should see about 6" of water stream out. If not, the problem is the the lower unit water pump.

Last edited:
Took of the impeller again, looks fine. Changed the t-stat, tried lowering the drive into a bucket of water, and it wouldnt take in any water? and im not getting a pee stream when the engine is running.

Took of the impeller again, looks fine. Changed the t-stat, tried lowering the drive into a bucket of water, and it wouldnt take in any water? and im not getting a pee stream when the engine is running.
You'd need a container the size of your boat to submerge the lower unit so your idea won't work. Run it on muffs & make sure their tight against the intake. Have you ever run that impeller dry? Do not start the engin even for a few seconds unless it's on muffs or in the water. It only takes a few seconds to ruin the impeller. You may have ruined the impeller with the bucket trick. When you change the impeller bump the engine so that the narrow end of the water pump shaft is in the 6o'clock position. Pull the coil wire so the engine won't start. Then insert the impeller into the cover the same way so it lines up with water pump shaft. That way it should slip right on without twisting the cover. If the o-ring on the cover comes out of the groove the pump will suck air causing an overheat condition.

Last edited:
Back