Logo

aq125a flywheel housing with shaft 1982 Bayliner

elkmcc

hi, just got replacement flywheel housing with shaft and bearings installed. it has a lube port but not a zerk. i'm not sure how to fill thru that. I don't know how much or what type grease is in there. should I remove aft bearing and pump in grease till I see it coming thru. I have some really good synthetic, high press. grease. is that ok to mix or should I get reg. marine grease. and I noticed the aft seal was put in the conventional way. I think I read it should be in backwards. I have a xtra seal so I could at least do that. Thanks, BILL

Bill, you'll also find some info re; this in your other thread...............
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?455777-aq125-bell-housing&p=645696#post645696

........... so forgive me for any redundancy.

hi, just got replacement flywheel housing with shaft and bearings installed.
The AQ125A PDS will be a single bearing PDS.

it has a lube port but not a zerk. i'm not sure how to fill thru that.
That is the old school grease port. There is/was a fitting for a grease gun that fits on this.
I would remove it.
You'll find that it is 3/8" NC male threads.
Either find or make a 3/8" NC thread-to-grease-zerk fitting to replace it.
Or.... directly chase the female 3/8" NC threads with a 1/8" Tapered Pipe Thread tap.
Run the 1/8" TPT tap in about 75%.... it will make new 1/8" TPT out of the 3/8" NC machine threads!
If you chase the threads, be sure to reach in and remove the aluminum debris.
Now install a 1/8" TPT grease zerk in it's place.
Better yet, install a 18" grease gun extension hose into this port, and couple a 1/8" grease zerk into the other end of the extension hose.
Tie this end to a bracket on the engine where you can easily see it.

I don't know how much or what type grease is in there. should I remove aft bearing (seal) and pump in grease till I see it coming thru?
Yes, and do so while turning the PDS to help remove any air pockets!

I have some really good synthetic, high press. grease. is that ok to mix or should I get reg. marine grease.
It's always best to NOT mix grease chemistry. Incompatible grease chemistry can cause the grease to lose viscosity.

and I noticed the aft seal was put in the conventional way. I think I read it should be in backwards. I have an extra seal so I could at least do that.
This type of seal's "sealing" ability is increased when pressure is applied to the lip and tension spring side.
We want this seal to "breach" any excessive grease pressure or quantity.
When installed conventionally, any excessive grease may force the seal out of it's bore.

NOTE: the AFT seal is stopped by the second (aft-most) snap ring.
In other words, both snap rings will be installed, and the seal then installs up against this snap ring.

Thanks, BILL

Sorry, I meant to say, should I remove the aft seal, not bearing.
Yes, I caught that!

Bill, the first image below is of a later model V-8 single bearing PDS flywheel cover. It will be similar to your OHC 4 cylinder F/C.
I use this to show how to convert from non-serviceable sealed bearing to an open and serviceable style.

The second image shows a V-8 double bearing PDS with the grease gun extension hose w/ zerk fitting. You can do the same to your F/C if you'd like to.

I'm using these for an example only.

Attachments

• single bearing PDS w added grease port.jpg
    single bearing PDS w added grease port.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 22
  • flywheel cover grease hose.jpg
    flywheel cover grease hose.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thank You so much, that is everything I needed to know. You are so helpful it is hard to believe. Now, about my wife. Just kidding. THANKS AGAIN, BILL

Back