Logo

Mercruiser 4.2 overheat damage?

Sure, if it's a boat you own, you want to get out of trouble the least painful way possible, but if you are just shopping and this happens....I would cross it off the list or put it at the bottom with a big asterisk next to it noting its issues. OR leverage the issue for a much much lower price (you gotta know what you're doing here as this kind of thing can really bust the bank)
EVERY boat is for sale. Just a matter of making a deal.
Here's the best strategy. Identify your needs (skiing, fishing, partying, long distance cruising?). Find a boat that fits those needs (jon boat, express cruiser, flybridge fisherman, trawler?). Choose a quality manufacturer. Ask other owners what issues they have (usually there's forum for every boat on earth). Look at several units. if you find one you like GET IT SURVEYED (perhaps the seller will assist with the cost). Don't buy without a survey unless you are willing to risk any expenses for hidden problems.
Don't buy with your heart, buy with your head and don't be in a big hurry. Only professional mariners NEED a boat. If it doesn't happen for you this year then try again next year. Best time to buy is in fall at the end of the season or winter when nobody is buying.
Renting/charter is a great option and you assume zero risk and long term expense. I like to air out my sailing jones by chartering a nice boat in the Caribbean for a week. Really happy to walk away at the end and know someone else has to deal with it.

Last edited:
You talk of all these cobra repairs you know how to do, you know you're right I'd don't know how to do them.... because in 25 years of running alphas I have had to do so much less maintenance

do everyone here a favor and shut up
Oh, do u also own a boat with a Cobra that you've had to work on, Einstein?

You talk of all these cobra repairs you know how to do, you know you're right I'd don't know how to do them.... because in 25 years of running alphas I have had to do so much less maintenance

do everyone here a favor and shut up
Shouldn't you be getting ready to sign yourself in for your weekends in County, Ace? The sheriff is waiting.

Oh, do u also own a boat with a Cobra that you've had to work on, Einstein?
You say nothing of technical merit . Cobra went away years ago for good reason, mercruiser Alfa is superior despite the fact you are too dumb to realize it. Not my fault your parents are related

You say nothing of technical merit . Cobra went away years ago for good reason, mercruiser Alfa is superior despite the fact you are too dumb to realize it. Not my fault your parents are related
You are an idiot. I will put a properly adjusted well maintained Cobra up against a Merc any day. OMC went bankrupt not because their drives are no good but because of piss poor management of the company, fool. Merc cornered the market not because their drives are superior but because of better marketing. Any more questions, numbnuts?

just one (actually serious here) how many cobra drives were recalled for gearset and ultimately shift cable replacement ? And how did this contribute to the financial stability of the company?
OMC had a recall on shift cables. There was never a recall on their gearsets, aszcrack.

just one (actually serious here) how many cobra drives were recalled for gearset and ultimately shift cable replacement ? And how did this contribute to the financial stability of the company?
Hi Ace! A few years ago Merc had a recall on their Alpha & Bravo shift cables. WAAAAAAAA! BAHAHAHAHAHA

Update: seller’s mechanic repaired he boat. I spoke to the mechanic today. He replaced the freeze plug, ran the boat for 1.5 hours. Compressions were 132 to 138. He said the leak down test was fine. He did not inspect the exhaust, bellows or flappers but said he could hear them working. He said the boat was good to go.

We passed.

Thanks for the assistance and information. Back to the hunt.

bruce

Compression sounds a bit low but still acceptable. Given the loss of cooling water I would have thought he would have removed the elbows to really check the exhaust hoses and the flappers. If you’d always have a question about this boat you did the right thing....

Update: seller’s mechanic repaired he boat. I spoke to the mechanic today. He replaced the freeze plug, ran the boat for 1.5 hours. Compressions were 132 to 138. He said the leak down test was fine. He did not inspect the exhaust, bellows or flappers but said he could hear them working. He said the boat was good to go.

We passed.

Thanks for the assistance and information. Back to the hunt.

bruce

With compression numbers like that I am sure it did not pass a leak down.

How do you hear exhaust flappers working?

Glad you passed on this boat.

With compression numbers like that I am sure it did not pass a leak down.

How do you hear exhaust flappers working?

Glad you passed on this boat.

Haha, Compression should be around 150 psi.

The only time you hear flappers is when the rubber is melted away and the metal parts are slapping the exhaust tube....hahahaha...so yah they sure are working alright!!

Dont pass, RUN....

Thanks. I had no idea what compression numbers should be or how to interpret the results of a leak down test. On aircraft engines we use a differential compression test with a metered 80psi going in and the cylinder pressure measured as something less than 80. Totally different animal than auto/marine engines.

I too was disappointed a more thorough inspection was not accomplished. Such is life.

thanks again.

bruce

Update: yesterday we picked up a very clean 2003 Four Winns 180 Horizon with the Volvo Penta 4.3 GL. Compressions all 170 or better. Had it on the water for about an hour. A foot smaller than the Bryant but over all a nicer, cleaner boat. Momma is very happy.

happy wife, happy life.

Thanks again for the help. Now I guess I have to go stir up trouble on the VP forum ;)

Bruce

Back