Logo

Pee Stream Question

JackB1

I have a 97 Honda BF75HP. When starting in my driveway I noticed the pee stream was weak then stopped altogether. I pulled the hose off the fitting and was able to blow through it. Restarted got small stream then I blocked hose with my finger for a second and full stream reappeared. I do not think this is a water pump issue and possibly due to salt crystals. I did run some salt away through it and let it set for a day. Took boat out today and stream was weak. Motor ran fine. After returning home and flushing the stream disappeared again. Seems like something is blocking stream intermittently. What is the best way to clear this up?

I had a similar issue with my 8hp. It was the plastic fitting where the hose connects at the cowling was partially clogged with salt. Took a small drill bit, and clean it up nicely. Back in action.

Debris in the water can get into the tell tale bypass circuit and cause this on again off again stream. The best way to clear it is to remove the side cover, take the hose off completely and remove the nipple fitting in the block. With the lower end in a trash can of water, run the engine at 2500 rpm. If the pump is in good shape the water will GUSH out and soak you down instantly if you stand in the wrong place. This gushing will definitely clear anything that may have been trapped behind the hose nipple and restore permanent flow.

Crunchy21 is right about the fitting in the cover. Also, the rubber hose should be replaced every 3 years or so. It will get hard over time and small particles will have a harder time working their way through the bends. The hose should be supple and limp not stiff with bends permanently "set" into the hose.

Also, the hose only gets routed one particular way. If it is routed improperly, it will be squeezed partially or completely closed when the cover is put back. Note how it is routed before you pull it off.
A rule of thumb is that, if you can plug it on the fitting easily while reinstalling the side cover, it's probably routed incorrectly. When properly routed it's a bit of a pain to put it back on the side cover nozzle.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Let me ask a follow up question. If I am about a mile from home and the pee stream cuts out in a case like mine is it safe to continue. Is there an overheat alarm?

I don't know your model outboard. There likely is an alarm but sometimes they aren't hooked up or working properly. Hopefully someone else here can give you better information on that.

As far as running a mile without the tell tale showing that the pump is working wouldn't be wise at all. If the pump isn't working, the engine will overheat surprisingly quickly and overheating starts creating engine damage in short order.

Many Honda outboards have a power "de-rate" system built into the ignition system. If overheating is detected the power will be drastically reduced. When power reduction happens, you are advised to shut the engine down and inveshtigate the cause.
Again, I don't know if your model is so equipped but you can download an owners manual for free on Honda's website and that should provide that sort of info.

Good luck.

I have 2004 BF115HP and still getting lower water flow than think I should at tell tale. I no the T- fitting isnt clogged, but the water lines themselves "could" be. I just replaced the impeller and when I pull the T-fitting the water is gushing from the main hose so I know the pressure is good. I am getting a light flow from the tell tale but I needs to be stronger. I am connecting the garden hose at the flush port just below the cowling in the back of the motor (not the ear muffs) if that makes any difference.

I have been running it in salt water last few years and do get silt and junk in the engine, but I am good about getting the boat out and dropping it back into the fresh water and running the engine for 5 min to flush it. But I wouldnt be surprised if the water lines themselves have some level of blockage. I just dont know where the water lines go to and from. I am not confident enough to start pulling components off or water lines off...I might not get them back where they belong.

Hi Paul,
To get better response you need to open your own thread.
I don't know the 115 so I hesitate to answer. But since I'm here, I will say that if you read the answer I gave the OP of this thread, you might want to try doing those things if you haven't already.

Because, if the pump is good, 99% of weak pee stream is something stuck in the bypass BEHIND the nipple that threads into the engine block. The other 1% is usually either a mis-routed, pinched hose coming from that nipple and connected to the side cover fitting or the hose is old and hard and is trapping debris. The above paragraphs I wrote to the OP explains it in more detail.

Good luck.

Back