Logo

Mercruiser 5.0 MPI Data Bus Fault

ceeg52

Have a 2004 Sea Ray with Mercruiser 5.0 MPI. The last two times out while cruising at about 2500 - 3500 RPM all of a sudden the boat will hesitate for a second (seems like it looses power) I get a Data Bus Fault. The boat almost instantly goes back to running fine. Happened about three times in about twenty minutes today. Would any of the sensor cause this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!

What do you have hanging on your ignition Key ring?

If nothing, good chance your CAN line has a resistor pack in it on the engine side and may be full of water.

This may sound stupid but why would you ask what is on my ignition key ring? I do have a few keys on it a bottle opener, mini flashlight and a lanyard (lol). I'll definitely check for water in the resistor pack in the CAN line.

Thanks for the info!!!

This may sound stupid but why would you ask what is on my ignition key ring? I do have a few keys on it a bottle opener, mini flashlight and a lanyard (lol). I'll definitely check for water in the resistor pack in the CAN line.

Thanks for the info!!!

Anything more then a Float and a Key is too much weight for the ignition switch. It will cause the switch to loosen up lose contact and reset the ECM. Wiggle your key switch a little hard and see if you can make the problem happen.

Back