Logo

Need help with my education on my new to me (old) 8.1L

carboncow

Contributing Member
Scored a great deal on a 1997 Pursuit Denali with the 8.1L with an unknown engine concern. The previous owner had it for 20 years on the east coast and we dragged it back to Ohio to being the process...

He claimed it's been out a few times over the years, newer risers, etc...no promises. Price was that good.

A buddy is going through it who is old school boat guy who's been wrenching on boats on the side for 40 years as his primary bread and butter is vinyl/canvas. I trust him but he's a carb kind of guy. As sorts through the posible issues I'm starting todo leg work on rebuild kits, injectors, ect...

But the 8.1L info is a bit hard to find. I know she is an expensive boat to keep alive and rebuild compared to a 5.7L but I think we want to stay with this big block or at least until we find out we need a new block.

Questions:

1. How do I determine what engine I have (model/spec wise). He's not finding any plates, codes, etc on the engine yet.
2. How does one tell from Gi to GXi? (Its fuel injected for sure and in a 1997 boat)
3. I see lots of parts from 2001 on but am not sure about the older variety. Any info you share to set me straight or point to a great resource. Not sure what makes these engines different from year to year.

Thx.

Back