Logo

aq125 bell housing

elkmcc

I'll try a different way. does anyone know why in the back of flywheel housing, after i opened it up, there is no seal, no snap ring, just a sealed bearing and i can't get the pds shaft out.

I'll try a different way. does anyone know why in the back of flywheel housing, after i opened it up, there is no seal, no snap ring, just a sealed bearing
In-experienced person doing the work.

and i can't get the pds shaft out.
Read on!

From your other thread:

I have aq125 engine with 270 drive. took my boat to repair shop to have lift lock repaired. they took off upper drive and the rear of flywheel housing was beat up from the u joints.
I'm always amazed when shops perform un-authorized work.

They said the pds bearing was bad. they wanted over $ 3000.00 to repair it.
Yikes!
$3k is more than excessive.

I brought boat home. Inside the rear of flywheel housing there is no seal, no snap ring. Just a sealed bearing, the shaft seems to be tight with no play. anyone know what is going on.
It is difficult to determine if the bearing is good or bad without removing the PDS.
In my 24/25 years of doing AQ series work, I have never been able to completely make this assessment with the PDS still installed.

OK..... what you're calling a bell housing is actually a flywheel cover.
The shaft within the flywheel cover is a PDS.... primary drive shaft.
On the OHC 4s, the PDS is a single bearing unit.
The bearing (6206) should be an open bearing... not sealed!
A sealed bearing will not accept future lubrication via the grease port!

As you look into the PDS bore, you should see the AFT seal.
Just ahead of the AFT seal, will be 2 snap rings.
One that secures the PDS (via the bearing) into the flywheel cover, and an outermost snap ring simply stops the AFT seal.

You will need to sacrifice the seal in order to remove it.
Once the seal is out of your way, you will need a loooooooong needle nose plyers (with the tips modified) to reach in and compress the snap ring.
Once the AFT snap ring is removed, you will then remove the inner-most snap ring.

Baring no corrosion, the PDS will be free to come out AFT.
If it is being difficult, you may need to be creative and use something to grab onto it and pull.

A 6206 industry standard bearing will cost you approx $16.
Use a German, Japanese, US, etc bearing.........
NO fried rice and BBQ Pork bearings!

The seal is also an industry standard single lip 35x62x7mm in a Timken or TCM........ about $8.

After you have replaced the 6206 bearing, re-stall the PDS, and DO NOT yet install the seal.
Pump the cavity full of grease.
Bump the starter motor and spin the PDS just a bit.
Pump a bit more grease in and stop just as you see grease exit the ball cage.
Now install the seal.
NOTE: The seal installs in the non-conventional direction..... lip and tension spring facing AFT.

In the future, lube this bearing during each oil change. (there will be a grease port on the flywheel cover)
Do so with the engine running at idle.
4 or 5 pumps should do the trick!

Be sure to replace all 4 O-rings when you re-install the transmission.
Gear oil will be 30W engine oil.
NOT heavy gear oil!

Back