Logo

Default Newbie: 2001 Johnson 70HP

Hi.
    My Wife and I just bought a 2002 Manitou Oasis pontoon boot. It came with a 2001 Johnson 70hp. I've ordered the User's guide, and repair manual for it. I admit to being a newbie with regards to this boat and motor. It appears to have a separate gas tank, and 'oil tank/reservoir'. We have a 69 Mercury on our other boat. I just mix the gas right in the tank - for our Merc: 50:1. But how does this work - on our new boat? Is the oil tank - and oil pump - that automatically mixes the oil and gas together? The gas in the gas tank - looks clear and normal. Not like in the gas tank of our Mercury - that contains the gas/oil mixture.
    Please advise! Thanks!

Default Re: Newbie: 2001 Johnson 70HP

You have the vro system variable rate oiling. . It mixes the oil from the oil tank to the fuel system. When working properly. There is a sending unit in the oil tank. Which will send an audible alarm when the oil tank is getting low. But you should check the oil everytime you go out. Just in case alarm system or sending unit is malfunctioned. Some crooked people disconnect next the alarm because they are cheap or want to sell the boat.

Hi Mechanicman.
    Thanks for the info! Can you advise about the best oil to put in the reservoir? I've been reading that the Johnson's need either XD30, XD50 - or the better of them all: XD100.

The xd line up of oils are mostly for etec injected engines. Your better off using a mix oil like the kind you use for your old merc.

Make sure the VRO unit is in fact in service.-------It is a good idea to mix first tank at 50:1 and monitor oil level in the tank.----Motor will smoke more but do no damage.-----Might be a good idea to have a shop check operation of the VRO and explain this system to you.

The new boat came with the oil reservoir at 2/3 full, and a nearly full tank of gas. It seems to run and start normally. When I first start it - it smokes a bit, for around 5 minutes - then seems to run well, with minimal smoke. Same as our 69 Mercury 500; smokes when I first start it, but then runs nicely. Is there a site or a link - where I can learn about this particular 2001 Johnson, with the VRO system?