Logo

5.0 MPI Engine Alarm Sounding

IM Buddy8

I have a 2003 Sea Ray 240 Sundancer with the single Mercruiser 5.0 MPI. Let me start off by saying when it's running, it runs perfect. And that's about 95% of the time. I also did buy a Rinda scan tool and these are the codes that came up (I don't think they are linked to the issue) - Fault Codes 94, 75, 119, 104, 130. I believe they are all linked to sensors the boat doesn't have (ghost codes) but correct me if I'm wrong.

The boat will run fine for hours and roughly every other time I take it out for a trip (usually about a 40 min out and 40 min back trip with the occasional stop to anchor). But randomly I'll be cruising at around 3400-3800RPM's and the engine alarm will sound in the dash (it stays on for about 7 seconds or so when it slows down and I pull the throttle back to neutral). It usually stays running at idle and the alarm is off by the time I'm back to neutral. Sometimes I'll try getting on a plane again and it will do it again in 5 minutes, or it will be fine for another 30 minutes back to the dock.

Also, while it's occurring as far as I can tell it's still got good oil pressure (around 40) and the temp is usually right at 170 where it usually is once warmed up.

I topped off the gear drive fluid, change the fuel/water filter, and replaced one of the batteries with a new one (the issue happens even if I just use the new battery or both).

What could be causing the alarm and as I mentioned it will turn off if I slow down so it's not continuous. If I keep the throttle where it was when cruising and the alarm goes off the RPM's slowly drop and the boat slows down but it does not stall when I'm down to idle.

Any troubleshooting ideas or things I can check with the Rinda Techmate PRO would be greatly appreciated so I can confidently take the boat out with people on it without briefing them on the potential of the alarm sounding and the boat slowing down.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Back