Logo

140 Hp 4 stroke Johnson Engine indicates overheating but actually it's not

Dan Mc

Hello everyone.. I've experienced this issue occasionally over the past two years. Sometimes very infrequently. This year happened three times in first outing. Last year I replaced the oil temp sensor and the thermostat. Have felt the water coming from the water pump when it has happened and the water is not hot. It was happening in the past when I was near full throttle but now it happens even prior to that when the motor hasn't been run for more than 5 minutes at a lower RPM. The model # of my Johnson 140 hp 4 stroke is J140PX4STS. The alarm goes off and the motor goes into the S.L.O.W. protection system. I can turn the motor off, wait approximately 2 minutes and start it up again and resume traveling as if the motor did not overheat. I ordered a repair manual last night but wonder if there is another sensor that I am not aware of that causes the motor to act as if it's overheating when it in fact is not. I would appreciate any feedback as this is a frustrating situation. Thanks.. Dan

Back