Logo

Overheated Engine - Compression Test Diagram

TOLLYCRAFT 30

Hey Folks,

Purchased boat and putted around a couple times since it was late into last season on the Chesapeake Bay. Was being cautious until I could check exchangers, manifolds, and risers this spring prior to use. The planned last day of use and getting near end of day... I aquiesced to my wife to get er on a plane and head back to marina. Starboard engine fumbled/coughed - then white smoke (no alarm when off) - shut it down.

See attached diagram with compression test I did on all cylinders - not good. There is no water in oil, however, the spark plugs at low compression cylinders show some water/orange stains at threads/shaft near threads. After completing tests and since I wasn't sweating like a pig - I removed exhaust hoses, manifolds/risers, and heat exchanger. I have documented compression tests, all plugs, engine, and removal of items. So, should the next steps be remove intake manifold, heads (check head gasket and have them checked for cracks/warpage)...

Appreciate the HELP!

Attachments

• Starboard Engine - compression diagram.pdf
    79.9 KB · Views: 40
how many hours are on this engine and its partner?

What are your expectations and what are they based on?

As far as next steps, I'd say a leakdown test is the next 'best step' you can take....

No idea. Port runs fine may or may not be original - will do compression/leak-down for overall status after pinpointing (?!) issue with Starboard. Have receipts (from previous owner via broker) showing starboard Jasper long block installed along with manifolds/risers/hoses and more in 2008 - unfortunately, they don't note hours on meter when installed. Boat was used by elderly couple in Es*** area (more fresh than brackish) - it appears they initially spent required funds (records/marina owner) to mechanically maintain the boat, but, due to health issues the boat ultimately became cosmetically challenged. The Port engine idled and ran smooth when cruising around 6-8 knots and a couple times just above a level plane - no hick-ups or blue smoke. Goal is to do proper analysis, discover/determine if issue is head gasket, head work, and/or bottom end (replacement?) - while educating myself in the process. Since it did overheat and white smoke was evident - I'm hoping for head gasket/s. Will move forward with purchasing leak-down tool. THANKS for your response and confirmation on next step!..

Back