Logo

Troubleshooting corrosion damage

rasmuss

So I bought a my first boat last year. A aluminum boat with 40hp johnson outboard.

Just before putting it in the water this year I noticed a lot of corrosion damage on the inside of the hull in the bottom of the lowest “reinforcement grooves”. It has even corroded a smal whole through in one place. See attachment.

Right now Im trying to figure out why this happened. I have noticed that the engine did not have any anodes. The hull had one, but it looked dimpled and white.

There has been lots of leaves and probably water laying there. Could it be deposit corrosion?

I have also measured and found that there is contact between the hull and the negative pole on the battery. From research it seems to be somewhat conflicting if this should have contact or not.

So what do you think is the reason? Is there any clue that the corrosion is on the inside? The boat is sitting in saltwater al summer.

Attachments

• 20190603_115941_1.jpg
    20190603_115941_1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Hard to say if its fresh or old.....

Anodes are one of the easier ways to slow down the process....but they typically protect the metal item they are attached to.....

my guess is there were one or more pieces of metal sitting inside the boat and then some (slightly conductive) water was introduced and that enabled some galvanic action...

Back