Logo

2000 Johnson No Spark in #2 cylinder after warm. Power pack, Spark Plugs already replaced.

Good Evening / Morning Gentlemen, #Wave

Spring 2020 Update. Engine ran great from July - September. NO TAC or charge but engine ran great. Figure i want to fix the charge issue .
Ordered new voltage regulator around late march and also sent in my CDI Stator to CDI which clearly was bad as the Charge coil looked like a piece of charcoal. I had the orange wires off the charge coil disconnected last season per CDI advice and i had no issue all season.
CDI called me to advise they are not even removing it from the box and its not under warranty yata yata and tried to blame a bad voltage reg or batterys that would cause it.

So i order a new stator and voltage regulator and get her tossed on. I fire up in the drive way and have a strong signal to tac, and am seeing 13.7 / voltage. YAY!
go to ramp and i think after 10 min or so the charge was gone. my TAC is working as it should and very strong signal on ignition / motor fire up. Seems i wont be able to resolve this issue but providing everyone a update and will also provide update when/ if resolved.

Engine continues to fire right up & run as it should , - so all those parts i put on last year... the culprit was timer base
now i have a really reliable motor but no charge, resulting in one day a no start if i dont manually charge batts. This Johnny is possessed lol.

You may have done better to have started a new thread of your own instead of resurrecting and hijacking an old thread

However you seem to have replaced an awful lot of parts. Its difficult to understand what diagnostic testing lead you replace some of them especially things that might have affected the way the motor runs but have no bearing on the charging issue

Even though you have fitted a new one I would want to check the stator coil for continuity between the two yellow wires and, if possible compare its resistance with a figure in the manual.
I would want to check the output from the stator following the procedure in the CDI troubleshooting guide. Strictly speaking this needs a peak reading meter or one with a DVA adapter. A simple AC voltage reading between the two yellows might be worth doing

If the output from the stator is normal I would check the rectifier regulator. I would remove it and do the bench testing using a multimeter with a "diode test" setting. Even though you have already replaced it you may have inadvertently blown it by connecting the battery with the polarity reversed ... doing that will fry the rectifier quicker than you can say, "Oh bother".

Check both ways between each of the yellows and red, You should get a reading one way and no reading the other way for each yellow. Then test between the case ( or black wire ) and each yellow, Again you should get a reading one way and no reading the other for each .

If the stator checks out OK and the rectifier checks out you should get a DC charging voltage on the red when installed and the motor is running. Check that the black wire, or case if there is no black wire, is properly grounded.

If your rectifier has a purple wire check that it shows the battery voltage

You may find the manual on the Boatinfo website helpful but it is a poor substitute for a proper manufacturers manual

Attachments

• 2020-05-20 11_53_15-Window.png
    2020-05-20 11_53_15-Window.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
2001 Johnson 200 HP and she runs GREAT. nothing wrong with the motor but the electrical has been a complete night mare for me..
I Have tested with multiple meters and the engine isn't putting nothing out.. Not even at 4400 RPMS , i have no increase in voltage anywhere on the boat.She does not charge at all. When i run my tilt / trim, boat trim tabs , and when lowrance is on it dims out. I need this motor to charge :/ I'm at the point of needing to find a expert on the east coast and traveling / taking the boat to them.
I have a new CDI power pack, Stator, Voltage Regulator, Timer Base, Ignition, Battery, Perko switch, nothing. I've printed the entire CDI manual and everything is hooked up correctly. I am very mechanically inclined and patient. I've replaced about everything, I've tested ohm test on the entire ignition harness, (I have done no DVA tests, engine runs GREAT!!!) I have over 15 hours trying to troubleshoot this and i am at a total loss. I've ohm tested / checked the main (-) and main (+) off the engine going to batterys i can't find any issues with corrosion nothing, no wing nuts. I have no charge at the main starting solenoid or any wire on the boat. I really can't figure out what the issue may be and ive replaced just about every main component related to the charging system.

Back